MetaEditor crashes when typing "_" - page 2

What platform are you using?

It still happens and its a shame that there is absolutely no response from support since 3 months.

Imho, it's no discussion worth, if such a behavior is acceptable or not - its not. This bug simply destroys work all the time, over and over again, and it wastes a lot of expensive time, every single day multiple times, sometimes even every 5 minutes. 

Auto-completion is the origin of it all, and this feature is buggy. Most of the time it does not even find local variables, many times it does not find members of structs or classes (only after saving, but with dynamic objects never) and within this context - it crashes the editor while its trying to operate when typing between brackets.

By the way, it makes no difference if I use small or large files, but of course the structure which is included is not just 10 classes, its consists of several hundred classes (>400).

MetaQuotes, please fix this bug or reply in any way. Of course I offer to help with videos or whatever (except whole source code) is needed.

Doerk Hilger:

It still happens and its a shame that there is absolutely no response from support since 3 months.

Imho, it's no discussion worth, if such a behavior is acceptable or not - its not. This bug simply destroys work all the time, over and over again, and it wastes a lot of expensive time, every single day multiple times, sometimes even every 5 minutes. 

Auto-completion is the origin of it all, and this feature is buggy. Most of the time it does not even find local variables, many times it does not find members of structs or classes (only after saving, but with dynamic objects never) and within this context - it crashes the editor while its trying to operate when typing between brackets.

By the way, it makes no difference if I use small or large files, but of course the structure which is included is not just 10 classes, its consists of several hundred classes (>400).

MetaQuotes, please fix this bug or reply in any way. Of course I offer to help with videos or whatever (except whole source code) is needed.

Thank your for your message

Could you provide me source code
I will delete it after investigation

Ilyas:

Thank your for your message

Could you provide me source code
I will delete it after investigation

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately this is absolutely impossible. We could arrange a video call, if you want and if this helps. 

Today seems to be the peak. 

I cannot edit absolutely NOTHING within NO bracket. MT Editor crashes at every single line when I try to enter ANY code after an open bracket when the MT editor tries to autocomplete or whatever its doing in the background. 

Yesterday I had only some crashes and lost only some work, today its totally impossible to work at all. 

Changes since yesterday: None. 

In general it's still like that, that the autocompletion feature is most of the time totally useless. As described, it never finds local variables, never finds class-functions of dynamic objects, but also in most cases does not find all functions of static objects. 

Nobody cares, as it seems, no matter the fact that this issue was reported by some more users in the meanwhile. And of course: Only with complex code, never happens with simple, little snippets. 

Doerk Hilger:

Today seems to be the peak. 

I cannot edit absolutely NOTHING within NO bracket. MT Editor crashes at every single line when I try to enter ANY code after an open bracket when the MT editor tries to autocomplete or whatever its doing in the background. 

Yesterday I had only some crashes and lost only some work, today its totally impossible to work at all. 

Changes since yesterday: None. 

In general it's still like that, that the autocompletion feature is most of the time totally useless. As described, it never finds local variables, never finds class-functions of dynamic objects, but also in most cases does not find all functions of static objects. 

Nobody cares, as it seems, no matter the fact that this issue was reported by some more users in the meanwhile. And of course: Only with complex code, never happens with simple, little snippets. 

Provide a code to reproduce the issue and it will be fixed soon or later.

No code, or code but no reproduction, they will not investigate. It's how it is and you know it.

Doerk Hilger: Today seems to be the peak. 

I think why most users don't see this happening to them, is because their projects are much smaller, and so MetaQuotes does not give it that much of a priority!

Your StereoTrader is a massive and impressive project, which I believe MetaQuotes never thought would be implemented on their system. They probably don't even have anything that complex themselves to be able to stress test their system.

You are probably one of the few if not the only one able to take the MetaEditor to its limits. I don't however know if that is good or bad thing in general, but for you, it must be a "royal pain in the butt"!

I sympathize with your difficulties!

Alain Verleyen:

Provide a code to reproduce the issue and it will be fixed soon or later.

No code, or code but no reproduction, they will not investigate. It's how it is and you know it.

I did. It was reproducible with the code I sent for the other issue and I described it like that. 

Fernando Carreiro:

Your StereoTrader is a massive and impressive project, which I believe MetaQuotes never thought would be implemented on their system. They probably don't even have anything that complex themselves to be able to stress test their system.

You are probably one of the few if not the only one able to take the MetaEditor to its limits. I don't however know if that is good or bad thing in general, but for you, it must be a "royal pain in the butt"!

I sympathize with your difficulties!

A royal pain in the a... thanks :D 

-----

I think it mainly happens with conditional stuff in the code. Of course there are many #ifdef/#ifndef statements, and this may vary from file to file. I guess it is like that, that the preprocessor, which is responsible for creation of the auto-completion feature, is somehow overwhelmed by the permanently changing conditions. 

By the way, wasn´t/isn´t there a possibility to edit MQL code with Visual Studio or Visual Studio Code? I mean, would not be perfect, but at least a possibility to survive longer editing-sessions when plenty of changes are edited. 

Doerk HilgerBy the way, wasn´t/isn´t there a possibility to edit MQL code with Visual Studio or Visual Studio Code? I mean, would not be perfect, but at least a possibility to survive longer editing-sessions when plenty of changes are edited. 

Yes, You can edit code with Visual Studio Code. I use it often alongside MetaEditor, but it does not have all the auto completion capabilities that you seem to want to have at your disposal.

It has context sensitive highlighting of the basic format of MQL code, but nothing fancy. In respect to MQL code, it is still just a basic text editor with some extra features. But at least it will not hang or crash!

How to Code & Compile MQL5 in Visual Studio - A Complete Guide
How to Code & Compile MQL5 in Visual Studio - A Complete Guide
  • www.mql5.com
After reviewing a couple of alternative IDEs/Source Code Editors that could be used to code and compile in MQL5 instead of using the original Metaeditor IDE, I decided to go with Visual Studio Code

Fernando Carreiro:

Yes, You can edit code with Visual Studio Code. I use it often alongside MetaEditor, but it does not have all the auto completion capabilities that you seem to want to have at your disposal.

It has context sensitive highlighting of the basic format of MQL code, but nothing fancy. In respect to MQL code, it is still just a basic text editor with some extra features. But at least it will not hang or crash!

Thanx, will have a look. But actually it´s a shame. 

Reason: