Apparent BUG in strategy tester MT5 identified: Profit/Loss 100 times larger than it should be.

Suddenly my strategy testing on BTCUSD and ETHUSD were trading the profit/loss at 100x what they should have been based on the actual lots traded in the history.

For example, trading .01 lots was posting profit/loss at the 1.0 lot level, and trading 1.0 lots was posting P/L at the 100.0 lot level.  This was only happening with these currencies, including no problem with litecoin LTCUSD

It turns out I had accidentally checked the "profit as pips for faster calculation".  When I unchecked it, the problem was solved.

BTC is unusual in that its contract size is 1.0.  ETHUSD is also unique with a contract size of only 10.  It appears these contract sizes combined with the "profit as pips" checkbox caused the strategy tester to calculate profit/loss incorrectly.

I hope the 2.5 hours of grief I spent tracking it down to a simple checkbox helps someone else LOL....

Hope someone at MT5 reads this and finds it helpful. 

Files:

Christian Berrigan:

Suddenly my strategy testing on BTCUSD and ETHUSD were trading the profit/loss at 100x what they should have been based on the actual lots traded in the history.

For example, trading .01 lots was posting profit/loss at the 1.0 lot level, and trading 1.0 lots was posting P/L at the 100.0 lot level.  This was only happening with these currencies, including no problem with litecoin LTCUSD

It turns out I had accidentally checked the "profit as pips for faster calculation".  When I unchecked it, the problem was solved.

BTC is unusual in that its contract size is 1.0.  ETHUSD is also unique with a contract size of only 10.  It appears these contract sizes combined with the "profit as pips" checkbox caused the strategy tester to calculate profit/loss incorrectly.

I hope the 2.5 hours of grief I spent tracking it down to a simple checkbox helps someone else LOL....

Hope someone at MT5 reads this and finds it helpful. 

It's not a bug, it is calculating pips not money...  :)