Can other developers modify a copyright protected program?

Hi,

There has many programs for download on the codebase page. I am looking for the author of a library. This library doesn't work in the new MT4 platform (build 646). I will pay the fee if the author will update the library for me. His website did not found, no email address and his name doesn't display on the developers list.

If I cannot find the author.

Can I hire a developer to modify that a library has copyright protected?

I am new here. Please tell me what should I do.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

Trader412563:

Hi,

There has many programs for download on the codebase page. I am looking for the author of a library. This library doesn't work in the new MT4 platform (build 646). I will pay the fee if the author will update the library for me. His website did not found, no email address and his name doesn't display on the developers list.

If I cannot find the author.

Can I hire a developer to modify that a library has copyright protected?

I am new here. Please tell me what should I do.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

I think it's ok, since you modify it for your personal needs. If you change a code to publish it or include into a commercial product, then you'd better mention original copyright holder. Codebase is just a base of examples, and authors share their source with others for free.

marketeer:
I think it's ok, since you modify it for your personal needs. If you change a code to publish it or include into a commercial product, then you'd better mention original copyright holder. Codebase is just a base of examples, and authors share their source with others for free.
I am not sure if what you wrote is right. Free to use doesn't mean free to modify, and certainly not free to sell. But it seems nobody takes care about legality in Forex (trading ?) world.

Thank you marketeer and angevoyageur.

This library is for personal use, not for commercial sell. It can run the whole back test procedure to find the properly setting of my EA.

I respect the author's idea and working. It is too bad that I cannot find the author.

Anyway, I will try to place my order on the freelance page.

Thank you very much.

angevoyageur:
I am not sure if what you wrote is right. Free to use doesn't mean free to modify, and certainly not free to sell. But it seems nobody takes care about legality in Forex (trading ?) world.
Unfortunately we don't know which license (if any) is mentioned in the library, and without this we can only make assumptions. Nevertheless, please provide an example of an open source license which forbids modification of sources. Also please name one which forbids selling. Most of open source licenses implies that derived products should be available under the same open source license.

Hi, everybody. My name is Istvan Erdelyi. I am going to help you by sharing knowledge and experiences in trading forex. Just watch it!

Hello my Reader!

There is a website of ours in Hungarian which describes an ALTERNATIV way of trading.

Just have a look at the amazing achievment of big money that can become real for you...

<link removed>

marketeer:
Unfortunately we don't know which license (if any) is mentioned in the library, and without this we can only make assumptions. Nevertheless, please provide an example of an open source license which forbids modification of sources. Also please name one which forbids selling. Most of open source licenses implies that derived products should be available under the same open source license.
A copyright is not an open source licence.

angevoyageur:
A copyright is not an open source licence.
Yes. But the code base is open source de-facto, whether an explicit license is mentioned or not. So any copyright holder who publishes software here accepts this "as is".
Reason: