About optimisation

Hi all and thanks for reading,

I have some questions about optimisation and mt4 :

Firstly how do you guys can run optimisation of a ea for time like a year ? I have like a pretty good computer and even like 2  weeks optimisation  is pretty long (idk like 15,20min , depends of the optimisation) , so how do you deal with this ?

Secondly i have a more general question , is the optimisation or speed of the simulation , really depending of the hardware of your computer ? I had a bad computer and was running some tests , was pretty slow , when i changed computer and buy a high end setup , the simulation did not improve so much in term of speed , was a bit better but not much , some says on the internet that mt4 is not made for windows 10 and that could be a reason it is so slow in general , what do you guys think ?

Finally , I see that , when a optimisation is finished , it shows all the "winning" scenario, but can mt4 make a analysis of what scenario is "better" in "average" ?

One last question : Is it possible the optimisation fail and mt4 don't say it ? Sometimes it looks like nothing's happening ,

PS:(sorry if my english is a bit bad,)

Val

eoltrading:

Firstly how do you guys can run optimisation of a ea for time like a year ? I have like a pretty good computer and even like 2  weeks optimisation  is pretty long (idk like 15,20min , depends of the optimisation) , so how do you deal with this ?

Secondly i have a more general question , is the optimisation or speed of the simulation , really depending of the hardware of your computer

mt4 is not made for windows 10

Finally , I see that , when a optimisation is finished , it shows all the "winning" scenario, but can mt4 make a analysis of what scenario is "better" in "average" ?

Is it possible the optimisation fail and mt4 don't say it ? Sometimes it looks like nothing's happening ,
  1. You control how precise your run is. Don't go down to the nth digit. If the over all of an input isn't smooth and peaking, it's not orthogonal enough. If it is, reduce its range and increase the precision on the next run.
  2. Modern HW have multiple cores. MT4 optimization only uses one. Better HW will not make big differences. See № 1, 5, and 6.
  3. BS.
  4. Sort your results by "better."
  5. EAs : Don't do per tick that you can do per bar, or on open.
    If you are waiting for a level, don't reevaluate, wait until price reaches it (or a new bar starts and you recalculate.)
    If you are waiting for an order to open or close, only look when OrdersTotal (or MT5 equivalent) has changed.
              How to get backtesting faster ? - MT4 - MQL4 programming forum

6. Indicators: Code it properly so it only recomputes bar zero (after the initial run.)
              How to do your lookbacks correctly.
    Or, reduce Tools → Options (control-O) → Charts → Max bars in chart to something reasonable (like 1K.)

Thanks a lot for your answer and your time :)
    Reason: