MT4's strategy tester doesn't simulate the behaviour of a stop loss correctly if the price gaps past the sl price

I have just discovered that MT4's strategy tester doesn't simulate the behaviour of a stop loss correctly if the price gaps past the sl price (i.e. if a new bar opens and gaps past the sl price). Instead of closing the order at or near the open price of the new bar (which is the correct behaviour), it closes the order at the sl price of the order. This can make a significant difference between the results from the strategy tester and the results in a real time environment.

Is this a known issue? If it's not, I hope someone from Metaquotes will read this and do something about it.

Thanks.

spfun:

I have just discovered that MT4's strategy tester doesn't simulate the behaviour of a stop loss correctly if the price gaps past the sl price (i.e. if a new bar opens and gaps past the sl price). Instead of closing the order at or near the open price of the new bar (which is the correct behaviour), it closes the order at the sl price of the order. This can make a significant difference between the results from the strategy tester and the results in a real time environment.

Is this a known issue? If it's not, I hope someone from Metaquotes will read this and do something about it.

Thanks.

MT4 strategy tester has a lot of limitations and in my point of view is pre-historic compared to MT5 backtester.

If you really want to do some serious testing you should rely on MT5.

spfun: Is this a known issue?
Yes, since before 2012

Thanks for the replies!
Reason: