Looking for opinions and recommendations

Hello everybody! I hope all of you are doing well! I have some questions that I would appreciate if anyone could answer. 

1. Does automated trading really work? I mean, I have seen some eas doing great jobs in backtesting, but is this real? Do anyone of you (or someone you know) that makes a living through this? 

2. How do I know if an ea is curve fitted/over optimized? 

3. I don't know if this one can be answered here, if not I apologize and appreciate an inbox: do you know or can recommend an ea that is stable and that have worked good for you? 

I have never bought an ea and I mostly fear of getting something that doesn't performs as said. 

Also, where I can learn more advanced strategies?

Looking forward to your advices!

Thank you. 

ppsev:
Hello everybody! I hope all of you are doing well! I have some questions that I would appreciate if anyone could answer. 

1. Does automated trading really work? I mean, I have seen some eas doing great jobs in backtesting, but is this real? Do anyone of you (or someone you know) that makes a living through this? 

3. I don't know if this one can be answered here, if not I apologize and appreciate an inbox: do you know or can recommend an ea that is stable and that have worked good for you? 

I have never bought an ea and I mostly fear of getting something that doesn't performs as said. 

Thank you. 

1. It depends how you "see" the market and your entry signal, risk management, type of strategy, etc.  Most eas dont work because (probably) in backtesting you don't have enough data, and spread changes depend on market condition. In my opinion, the best way to build an ea is backtesting, then forwardtesting using demo, tweak it and back to backtesting again. Do not expect to have a forex strategy makes for living, even it is possible.

2. -

3. The best way to answer this question is to encourage you to build your own ea. Do not buy or rent an ea! because it doesn't make sense that they have ea which work, but they still sell/rent their eas :D if you don't have any experience on programming, learn it and take some free course in internet like I did. If not, you can go to freelance section in this website.

Happy trading!

Adiasa:

1. It depends how you "see" the market and your entry signal, risk management, type of strategy, etc.  Most eas dont work because (probably) in backtesting you don't have enough data, and spread changes depend on market condition. In my opinion, the best way to build an ea is backtesting, then forwardtesting using demo, tweak it and back to backtesting again. Do not expect to have a forex strategy makes for living, even it is possible.

2. -

3. The best way to answer this question is to encourage you to build your own ea. Do not buy or rent an ea! because it doesn't make sense that they have ea which work, but they still sell/rent their eas :D if you don't have any experience on programming, learn it and take some free course in internet like I did. If not, you can go to freelance section in this website.

Happy trading!

Thank you for your answers. I know how to code, what I lack is a good strategy or how to create one. Do you have your EA? How did you get to your strategy? Books, youtube, blogs? I mean, what made you sense...its like full of information everywhere and I don't know where or what to look. Tell me your experience :)

Thank you! :D

ppsev:

Thank you for your answers. I know how to code, what I lack is a good strategy or how to create one. Do you have your EA? How did you get to your strategy? Books, youtube, blogs? I mean, what made you sense...its like full of information everywhere and I don't know where or what to look. Tell me your experience :)

Thank you! :D

Ah, ok. I understand. Yes I do have my own unfinished EA.

Well it's better everywhere than nowhere. hehe Just think what you think a good system for your trading style!( even it would be an automatic trading, but better you choose what you think the best).

Let's say you think scalping or whatever, find some articles anywhere which support your idea. Then you improvise and put it in the code.

I personally don't buy book :D i search in google what I look for.

ppsev:

Thank you. 

Hi!

1) Yes, it really works. I do not make a living only out of it, but it already makes an important part of my earnings.

2) In a practical way, you will notice that an EA is curve fitted when you test/optimize it in a period of time (let's say,  2006-2010) and them test it again, with the same parameters in another fresh (one you never used before for this EA) period of time (let's say 2011-2013) and the results are not even nearly alike. This proves that the EA is curve fitted for that period (2006-2010) and when it faces new data its performance is poor.

If your previous question was about an off-the-shelf EA, not one you are developing, them you may try to test the EA in a period completely different from the one showed in the marketing piece. You may rent the EA for that. It's cheaper than to buy it to discover the ugly truth afterwards.

Reason: