MT4 1170 frozen after opening and reinstall

Hi, my MT4 is frozen after opening. I believe my account is logged in because the number is displayed but my balance is shown as zero. I can verify with my broker that my balance is not zero. I can't even use a menu item - they are not highlighted when I mouseover them. Additionally, toolbar items do not show mouseover effect and I can't even close the window by pressing x, I must Alt-F4.

I already tried uninstalling it and re-downloading version 1170 from my broker. I think it logs into my account exactly the same as before the reinstall, but still the application is frozen. Does anyone know how I can fix my system? Thanks for your help during this down-period and I wish you a happy new year!

Kent

It stopped working within the last week, possibly after a Windows update or something? I haven't updated Windows in the last week but this is sometimes the cause of problems, and maybe something changed without telling me.

Hello friend,

I don't think its a Windows update... my computer does automatic updates and my account works fine. Maybe check the program your trying to run is still in the correct folder/s. depending on the program your running you might need to check that any indictors, etc are still also in the correct folders. Apart from the above, I usually close all programs and re start them, or close all programs and re start/shutdown windows.

illused:

Hi, my MT4 is frozen after opening. I believe my account is logged in because the number is displayed but my balance is shown as zero. I can verify with my broker that my balance is not zero. I can't even use a menu item - they are not highlighted when I mouseover them. Additionally, toolbar items do not show mouseover effect and I can't even close the window by pressing x, I must Alt-F4.

I've seen this specifically on high-DPI screens, though starting long before build 1170. It looks to me as though one of the pieces of stored information about MT4's window positions is giving MT4 a problem on restart. Removing a single line from MT4's terminal.ini settings fixed the problem for me.

So, two solutions to the problem:

1. Delete the entire terminal.ini file from the config directory (inside %appdata%\metaquotes\terminal)
  2. Remove the specific line inside terminal.ini which causes the problem

Unfortunately, I can no longer remember which specific line needs to be removed. So, all I can suggest is deleting the whole terminal.ini file.

(From faded memory, it's whichever of the [BarState_XX] blocks that controls the position of the Data Window.)  

Yeah, thanks for that JC. I had already uninstalled it and this time I deleted my profile as well. Problem solved but your way might have worked.
Reason: