MT5 potable or data folder relocate

Hi all. My tiny SSD is full. Super full. and i want to be able to put all the tick data on a USB drive or even just the whole install on a USB drive. I couldnt find anywhere to change to settings for the data and its seems it is hardcoded into the program. Relocating the folder and creating a shortcut to the folder in its place doesnt seem to work either - it just recreates the folder and redownloads everything.

If there a portable version of MT5? or a way (even third party software) to relocate the data folder?

I couldnt find anywhere to change to settings for the data and its seems it is hardcoded into the program. Relocating the folder and creating a shortcut to the folder in its place doesnt seem to work either - it just recreates the folder and redownloads everything.

<Link Removed>

Zedodia:

Hi all. My tiny SSD is full. Super full. and i want to be able to put all the tick data on a USB drive or even just the whole install on a USB drive. I couldnt find anywhere to change to settings for the data and its seems it is hardcoded into the program. Relocating the folder and creating a shortcut to the folder in its place doesnt seem to work either - it just recreates the folder and redownloads everything.

If there a portable version of MT5? or a way (even third party software) to relocate the data folder?

Hi,

If you have an installed version, simply copy the MT5 folder to another place (for example a pen drive).

Than create next to the terminal64.exe a "start.bat" file.

Into the bat file write "start terminal64.exe /portable"

Execute only the bat file every time!

Done.

jenny23:

I couldnt find anywhere to change to settings for the data and its seems it is hardcoded into the program. Relocating the folder and creating a shortcut to the folder in its place doesnt seem to work either - it just recreates the folder and redownloads everything.

<Link Removed>

Do not post links to possibly commercial websites- it could get you banned.

Jozsef Bognar:

Hi,

If you have an installed version, simply copy the MT5 folder to another place (for example a pen drive).

Done.

thanks Jozsef - does this move the App Data folder where the history data is stored too?

Thankyou.... works like a charm

on a second related topic.. does this work for MT4 too? or is there a different procedure?

yes for sure, just write terminal.exe in the bat file instead of terminal64.exe

Zedodia:

on a second related topic.. does this work for MT4 too? or is there a different procedure?

If you like that then you'd love this open-source project... 

https://gitlab.com/nicholishen/Vanilla-MT4/blob/master/Vanilla-MT4-v0_0_2.zip (open-source git repo links allowed per forum rules)

Jozsef Bognar #:

Hi,

Done.

Hi, this works like a charm but the app doesn't start with my personal data specifically the auto trading bot. Since there is rule applied that I only have 10 activation for my purchased product (this sucks), I want to copy my purchased tool as well. Is that even possible?

@Mr. Quan #: Hi, this works like a charm but the app doesn't start with my personal data specifically the auto trading bot. Since there is rule applied that I only have 10 activation for my purchased product (this sucks), I want to copy my purchased tool as well. Is that even possible?

As long as the Market product is used on the same computer (same drive), under the same Windows username, and with the same MQL5 Community login, it will not consume more than a single activation.

In other words, you can run multiple MetaTrader terminals (be they in portable mode or normal installation), with that Market product running without needing extra activations.

Reason: