MT5 potable or data folder relocate

To add comments, please log in or register
Zedodia
Zedodia  

Hi all. My tiny SSD is full. Super full. and i want to be able to put all the tick data on a USB drive or even just the whole install on a USB drive. I couldnt find anywhere to change to settings for the data and its seems it is hardcoded into the program. Relocating the folder and creating a shortcut to the folder in its place doesnt seem to work either - it just recreates the folder and redownloads everything.

If there a portable version of MT5? or a way (even third party software) to relocate the data folder?

jenny23
jenny23  

I couldnt find anywhere to change to settings for the data and its seems it is hardcoded into the program. Relocating the folder and creating a shortcut to the folder in its place doesnt seem to work either - it just recreates the folder and redownloads everything.

<Link Removed>
Jozsef Bognar
Jozsef Bognar  
Zedodia:

Hi all. My tiny SSD is full. Super full. and i want to be able to put all the tick data on a USB drive or even just the whole install on a USB drive. I couldnt find anywhere to change to settings for the data and its seems it is hardcoded into the program. Relocating the folder and creating a shortcut to the folder in its place doesnt seem to work either - it just recreates the folder and redownloads everything.

If there a portable version of MT5? or a way (even third party software) to relocate the data folder?

Hi,

If you have an installed version, simply copy the MT5 folder to another place (for example a pen drive).

Than create next to the terminal64.exe a "start.bat" file.

Into the bat file write "start terminal64.exe /portable"

Execute only the bat file every time!

Done.

Keith Watford
Keith Watford  
jenny23:

I couldnt find anywhere to change to settings for the data and its seems it is hardcoded into the program. Relocating the folder and creating a shortcut to the folder in its place doesnt seem to work either - it just recreates the folder and redownloads everything.

<Link Removed>

Do not post links to possibly commercial websites- it could get you banned.

Zedodia
Zedodia  
Jozsef Bognar:

Hi,

If you have an installed version, simply copy the MT5 folder to another place (for example a pen drive).

Than create next to the terminal64.exe a "start.bat" file.

Into the bat file write "start terminal64.exe /portable"

Execute only the bat file every time!

Done.

thanks Jozsef - does this move the App Data folder where the history data is stored too?

Zedodia
Zedodia  
Thankyou.... works like a charm
Zedodia
Zedodia  

on a second related topic.. does this work for MT4 too? or is there a different procedure?

Jozsef Bognar
Jozsef Bognar  
yes for sure, just write terminal.exe in the bat file instead of terminal64.exe
nicholi shen
nicholi shen  
Zedodia:

on a second related topic.. does this work for MT4 too? or is there a different procedure?

If you like that then you'd love this open-source project... 

https://gitlab.com/nicholishen/Vanilla-MT4/blob/master/Vanilla-MT4-v0_0_2.zip (open-source git repo links allowed per forum rules)

To add comments, please log in or register