How to get EAs on Different Computers to Talk to Each Other - page 2

It's not always what it seems.

Marco vd Heijden:
It's not always what it seems.

What does that mean?

It means that things that seem complex are not always that difficult.

Somethings are designed to be simple.

Marco vd Heijden:

It means that things that seem complex are not always that difficult.

Somethings are designed to be simple.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I see it, the only way to safely use the LAN file server you posted across the web is to bridge your networks over VPN. After all that, you're still at the mercy of both the VPN connection and the file server, no?

nicholi shen:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I see it, the only way to safely use the LAN file server you posted across the web is to bridge your networks over VPN. After all that, you're still at the mercy of both the VPN connection and the file server, no?

Oh there must be many ways.

But i like to keep things simple.

I don't believe that https is any safer.

If this is just for master slave on the local there should not be any problem.

And if there is i'm sure it can be solved.

It's just one of the many ways to do the job.

1) Would you mind elaborating more on how to use a REST API with the MT4 terminal or send me a link to learn more about it. 

2) Do I need to use WebRequest() function? 

3) Is it also possible to send/receive information such as up to approx. 30 variables to enable the second EA to start from the same position as the first EA? 

Yes, you would need to serialize your message to JSON before posting/after getting over WebRequest. 

4) Also, can the data transfer be achieved on every tick so the second EA starts with the most accurate data? 

This is a tough one since almost all REST api have strict limits on number of calls for minute. You could create a simple micro-service (with python for example) and deploy it as an AWS lambda function and pair it with the aws api gateway. ...OR... you'd need to figure out how to directly connect the terminals via encrypted websockets ...OR... create a VPN between endpoints and use regular sockets.

Hi Nicholi,

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  I still haven't resolved this issue.  Things were running smoothly and just checked MT4 only to find that the terminal had lost connection and GBPUSD price had jumped significantly leading to lost of 3 weeks of gains, very frustrating!  I need to get the backup EA up and running to counter this kind of issue.  I'm actually surprised there's not more info out there about setting up a backup EA, is this not something that people do?  I want to be able walk away and let the EA run without the stress of having to check it every 5mins.

I'm keen to revisit your initial idea of using a REST API and serialize the message to JSON before posting/after getting over WebRequest.  With regard to monitoring every tick, it's not really necessary, as the likelihood of the primary EA failing on a big price jump is low, but not impossible.  Therefore, monitoring every up to 5mins would be suitable.  Definitely better than the current situation anyway.

I understand it's a big ask but would you be willing to help me out by giving a more detailed description of how I can achieve the solution you mention and if possible share some code examples and/or links to further info.  I'm sure there must be more people out there like me wanting to know more about this subject.

Best regards,

James

Reason: