Many CPUs will become up to 17% - 23% slower as of next weekend.. - page 2

Intel® Product Security Center
  • security-center.intel.com
Summary:  Today a team of security researchers disclosed several software analysis methods that, when used for malicious purposes, have the potential to improperly gather sensitive data from many types of computing devices with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems. Intel is committed to product and customer security and to...

Carl Schreiber:

Here is the list of the Intel-CPUs which are involved:

https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00088&languageid=en-fr

I wonder if this will stir up a Class Action Suit against Intel and other manufacturers, due the the security risk and/or performance reduction, which will affect just about every PC and Mac in the world!

When one buys a PC or Mac, with the expectation of reaching a certain security and/or performance level, which then gets "castrated" permanently; obviously I would expect to be compensated for the defects.

The question now, is also what are suppliers going to do about sales of affected systems. Is the price going to drop drastically?

From a traders point of view, is it time to go short on Intel stock?

EDIT: Is their perhaps a list of modern CPU's that are not affected, that will help us when buying new systems?

"..affect just about every PC and Mac in the world!" You have forgotten the cell phones with the ARM-CPUs!

".. I would expect to be compensated for the defects." I doubt that: 1) at least 2 years development for the next generation of CPU 1) too expensive!

"Is the price going to drop drastically?" I guess not, do you know an alternative - except Commodore and/or Atari?

".. modern CPU's that are not affected,.." I guess IBM Power line or Oracles Sparc CPUs?

What about one from the Oracle store?

Here are some prices.

And here is a comparison XENON against Oracle S7.

Unfortunately the alternatives are running on Linux :(

Maybe Metaquotes starts to think about migrating to Linux?

At least the pretty annoying refreshes of all passwords due to some OS-update would not happen again - but I think it's a lonesome cry in the desert. :(

Here is another competition IBM Power 8 vs Intel Xenon: "Once all threads are active, the IBM POWER8 core is able to outperform the Intel CPU by 41% (geomean average)."

(If only the cases wouldn't be so ugly and noisy, I guess they are as well.)

Now I read that even IBM Power CPUs have that problem: https://meltdownattack.com/

I can see this being an issue for backtesting more then demo and live trading. We cant control VPS companies who likely will apply the patch. If you use a VPS to backtest, a workaround may be to save your money on subscription by purchasing a simple 4 or 8 core PC with uninterrupted power supply (UPS). Connect to the internet only long enough to set up trade terminals. Turn off windows updates https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/

Yes it might be a problem for backtests and optimization - but as the code how to access the critical memory of the kernel is freely available now I guess that quite a bunch of people already started to code malware in order to sell it via the darknet. And that is related to everyone!

So not installing the patch might become a problem.

Sooner or later I am sure we will know how much each cpu is delayed.

For those who want to be updated follow this link: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/01/09/understanding-the-performance-impact-of-spectre-and-meltdown-mitigations-on-windows-systems/

A german site sumrizes this to:

New CPU + Windows 10: hardly a performance problem

Older CPU + Win 10: "more significant slowdown", so that "some users will notice a decline in system performance".

Older Cpu + Win 7 or 8: "... most users feel that the performance decreases. ... for example, because the rendering of fonts is still done in the kernel area."

I think most people use older CPUS and Windows 7, like me: (

But (a candle in the tunnel) a backtest hardly renders fonts :)

Understanding the performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations on Windows Systems
Understanding the performance impact of Spectre and Meltdown mitigations on Windows Systems
  • Terry Myerson
  • cloudblogs.microsoft.com
Last week the technology industry and many of our customers learned of new vulnerabilities in the hardware chips that power phones, PCs and servers. We (and others in the industry) had learned of this vulnerability under nondisclosure agreement several months ago and immediately began developing engineering mitigations and updating our cloud infrastructure. In this blog,

Carl Schreiber:

For those who want to be updated follow this link: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/01/09/understanding-the-performance-impact-of-spectre-and-meltdown-mitigations-on-windows-systems/

A german site sumrizes this to:

New CPU + Windows 10: hardly a performance problem

Older CPU + Win 10: "more significant slowdown", so that "some users will notice a decline in system performance".

Older Cpu + Win 7 or 8: "... most users feel that the performance decreases. ... for example, because the rendering of fonts is still done in the kernel area."

I think most people use older CPUS and Windows 7, like me: (

But (a candle in the tunnel) a backtest hardly renders fonts :)

The question is what is "New" and what is "Older" ?

Win 10, new: 2016-era PCs with Skylake, Kabylake or newer CPU

Win 10, old: 2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU

Win7/8 old: 2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU

Reason: