A good EA

Hi everybody,

which are the values (ranges of values) that you consider describe a good EA when you test it in the strategy tester for the following results:

1. Profit factor

2. Expected Payoff

3. Absolute Drawdown

4. Maximal Drawdown (%)

5. Relative Drawdown (%)

Thanks for  your responses.

In my opinion, i can say it depends on your "risk-reward expectation". I mean, if you want to get huge money, so you have to accept big DD with more risk (like using kinds of Martingale EA). If you are happy to have 5% profit, so you should choose the smallest DD EA.

Another thing, the market is different in every condition, so maybe the backtest is good for 1, 2, 3 years ago, but for this year, maybe it is not that productive.

Good EA (for me) = Reliable investment EA

- Profit factor
- Stable and linear increase of Equity (near to zero Drawdown)
- Stable and linear increase of lot size

Balance is the Profit of the Fools.

A growth based on many trades is a healthy one compare to few trades that could be lucky ones ...

Zee Zhou Ma:

I usually look for a good profit factor with a low maximal drawdown. I also look at the performance chart to see how the drawdown varies across the length of the trades.

Adrian Antohi:
A growth based on many trades is a healthy one compare to few trades that could be lucky ones ...

Michele Lazzarini:

Good EA (for me) = Reliable investment EA

- Profit factor
- Stable and linear increase of Equity (near to zero Drawdown)
- Stable and linear increase of lot size

Balance is the Profit of the Fools

Thanks for your response!!

Of all the EA's I've experimented with, I'd say don't bother and look into getting the best indicators for you. You'll be the best EA with the right tools to help you make your own decisions.

Luis Nino:

Hi everybody,

which are the values (ranges of values) that you consider describe a good EA when you test it in the strategy tester for the following results:

1. Profit factor

In between 1.5 and 2. Value higher than 2 has risk of over curve fitting or using scammer's trick to boost result.

2. Expected Payoff

at least 3 times of average spread + commission or could easily fail in real trading condition.

3. Absolute Drawdown

I dont care.

4. Maximal Drawdown (%)

I dont care.

5. Relative Drawdown (%)

Preferable 20% during testing but expect for 30% in real trading.

Thanks for  your responses.

My answer is in green. :)

Reason: