Scots to Push for New Independence Referendum in Case of Brexit

Scotland should have the right to hold another independence referendum if there is a clear demand from the Scottish people, or if Brexit takes Scotland out of the European Union (EU) against the will of the Scottish people, leader of the Scottish Nationalists Nicola Sturgeon said in a statement.

Scots will be deciding on the composition of their fifth parliament in the elections to be held on May 5. The leading Scottish National Party (SNP), led by First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, goes into the election with a renewed call for an independence referendum.

In astatement published on Sunday, Sturgeon said her party believed passionately that "independence offers the best future for Scotland ... If there is a clear demand for a referendum no politician has the right to stand in the way of the people of Scotland to choose their own future."

Sturgeon also said that the Scottish people should also have the right to choose their own future within Europe if the UK as a whole votes for Brexit in the June 23 EU referendum.

"We believe that the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there is clear and sustained evidence that independence has become the preferred option of a majority of the Scottish people - or if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against our will," she said.

read more

Scotland's Sturgeon warns May that she's "not bluffing" on the promise of a second independence referendum

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon speaking on BBC TV 8 Jan

Sturgeon has this morning told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show she felt the prime minister had "no plan" in terms of her strategy for the UK leaving the EU.

She said she was prepared to compromise and wants Mrs May to do the same but the UK government has said a special deal for Scotland is unrealistic.

Strurgeon then want on to  warn the UK government that "they will be making a big mistake if they think I am in any way bluffing" on the prospect of another Scottish independence referendum.

She said that if the UK opts for leaving the single market then she would "give Scotland the opportunity to decide whether it wants to be driven off a hard Brexit cliff by right-wing Tory Brexiteers or whether it wants to take control of its own future".

Asked if she was looking at a referendum "much quicker" than in five or 10 years' time following a hard Brexit she said: "I would think, yes. But let me not get away from this point, I'm putting to Theresa May a compromise solution."

Voters in Scotland backed the UK staying in the EU by 62% to 38%.

Sturgeon also told the BBC presenter that discussions with the UK government over the Brexit options had left her "frustrated".

She said: "I don't feel as if I know any more about her (Theresa May's) negotiating objectives than I did six months ago."

More from the Beeb here.

Reason: