MT4 Offline chart not updating Custom Indicator - page 2

mladen:
PS: what I have is a period converter that is compiled with build 628 (this one : p4l_periodcon_1.02.ex4 ( and it work OK on my terminal

Ok thanks mladen I'll test it out.

Jaquanburton:
Ok thanks mladen I'll test it out.

Thanks mladen, you were correct. I guess since I was using an older periodcon (one of the first versions) it didn't work, even though it was an .exe file.

Jaquanburton:
Thanks mladen, you were correct. I guess since I was using an older periodcon (one of the first versions) it didn't work, even though it was an .exe file.

Jaquanburton

They were changing the way how metatrader handles dll calls on the fly (they do things like blanking the answer from a perfectly legal user32.dll API call - what are they afraid of, no idea) and causes those problems. The usual mq stuff one might say - what works today is not sure to work tomorrow due to some "genial" change in the way how terminal starts to work

They are closing down any discussion about bugs. It seems that they are considering the thing finished.

Now we can wait for the next update that will make all old stuff stop wotking

checkin:
They are closing down any discussion about bugs. It seems that they are considering the thing finished. Now we can wait for the next update that will make all old stuff stop wotking

Almost all brokers transferred to new metatrader

That tells us a lot : either there was a severe security problem with the old metatrader or brokers simply do not care what will happen to users. Neither option is good for us. And it is difficult to keep build 506 alive.

sebastianK:
Almost all brokers transferred to new metatrader That tells us a lot : either there was a severe security problem with the old metatrader or brokers simply do not care what will happen to users. Neither option is good for us. And it is difficult to keep build 506 alive.

Oh wow. I feel sorry for the people whose job is trading but can't because the indicators that they normally use aren't compatible with the new MT4. They definitely have it the worst because paying their bills, insurance, etc...all depend on them being able to trade

The "P4L PeriodCon" indicator used to work with (visual) backtesting too. This was a great solution for backtesting with different TF charts (same symbol).

However, like reported in this thread, earlier versions fail to update the (offline) chart. The latest version posted here (P4L PeriodCon 1.02.ex4) crashes/freezes MT4 (during backtest) when selecting the indicator from the custom indicator list and hitting the 'OK'-button. I tested this on 2 platforms, both with and without broker connection, gave the same problem. The only thing reported in the logs : "19:34:05.308 ***broker*** build 625 stopped".

Anyone with a solution/alternative or knows where we can find the mq4 for this indicator ?

cherno99:
The "P4L PeriodCon" indicator used to work with (visual) backtesting too. This was a great solution for backtesting with different TF charts (same symbol).

However, like reported in this thread, earlier versions fail to update the (offline) chart. The latest version posted here (P4L PeriodCon 1.02.ex4) crashes/freezes MT4 (during backtest) when selecting the indicator from the custom indicator list and hitting the 'OK'-button. I tested this on 2 platforms, both with and without broker connection, gave the same problem. The only thing reported in the logs : "19:34:05.308 ***broker*** build 625 stopped".

Anyone with a solution/alternative or knows where we can find the mq4 for this indicator ?

cherno99

Post the version that used to work on build 509

I don't exactly remember on which build I last played with this, could be 509. Currently, my build is 625.

The "P4L PeriodCon 1.01.ex4" indicator for example gives no crash in (visual) backtest mode, but the only times the M2(offline) chart is updated is when the indicator is loaded or when you change some indicator settings. At the same moments I notice that the timestamp on the hst-file (C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\...\history\...\GBPUSD2.hst) changes too. Has this something to do with newer versions of windows and/or additional file open options in mt4 (like FILE_SHARE_WRITE|FILE_SHARE_READ) ? Can we speed up the fileflush to the hst file?

p4l_periodcon.mq4

When I recently tested the attached indicator it would run for a couple of minutes (low strategy backtester speed) before crashing. But before crashing it would update the M2(offline) chart perfectly in sync with the M1(visual) strategy tester chart playing at that moment. (This was pre-625).

Files:

Just came to my mind how this used to work in the Strategy tester: when I was using the indicator I attached in my previous post I would set the indicator parameter LiveUpdateMultipleChartsto false. In doing so the code would call the function UpdateChartWindow() instead of UpdateMultipleChartWindows(). The latter had an issue with using the GetWindowHandle too frequently, locking up MT4 while the first one would just get the window handle once, keeping this in a static variable.

I tested this out on my other computer today, where I still have an MT4 build 509 and things still work perfectly how they used to. But, silly me, I never thought of using this indicator compiled with MetaEditor build 509 on my MT4 build 600+. And YES, while the newer/adapted versions of P4L PeriodCon "fail" in the strategy tester, this one still does the job updating my offline chart. And if I need more than one (un)usual timeframe, I attach the indicator a second time with another setting for PeriodMultiplier and here too setting LiveUpdateMultipleChartsto false.

I don't know what has changed in the newer versions, that's why I was asking for the mq4-file, but I suppose these are not available?

Edit: I have tested this only in visual mode so far. Before adding the indicator lower the strategy tester speed, customize the indicator settings, open the offline chart via "File --> Open Offline". After doing this you can speed up but do not go faster than 31 !

Reason: