The Dollar Finished A Strong Week At New Highs For The Year

The US dollar is capping this week's strong performance with new gains and the Dollar Index is at new highs for the year. It was the dollar-bloc currencies that had the dubious honor of being the weakest currencies over the past week, taking the baton from the Japanese yen.

Although the US reported some soft economic data in recent days, including a backing up of weekly initial jobless claims, the second consecutive monthly decline in manufacturing output and softer than expected consumer prices, the market is going through one of its episodic periods where it flirts with the possibility that the QE, which some had disparaged for being infinite, might end earlier than previously anticipated.

The combination of comments by two Fed presidents, Plosser and Williams, and resilience of the labor market have fanned expectations that the FOMC could taper QE purchases around mid-year. This heightened expectation is crystallizing as European officials continue talk about the possibility of additional easing, including a negative deposit rate. Rumors made in the rounds in Europe today that at least one major bank was contacted by the ECB about preparations for a negative deposit rate.

read more ...

Rumors made in the rounds in Europe today that at least one major bank was contacted by the ECB about preparations for a negative deposit rate.

Would it mean that they will give us money (loans) and that they would pay us to have loan at some of the bank? Or it is just for the alredy rich ones?

eurofreek:
Would it mean that they will give us money (loans) and that they would pay us to have loan at some of the bank? Or it is just for the alredy rich ones?

The opposite : since it is about negative deposit rates it would mean that you have to pay the bank when you have money in a bank. Take your cash and run away from banks, in short. Pillows will be the most sold commodity soon

techmac:
The opposite : since it is about negative deposit rates it would mean that you have to pay the bank when you have money in a bank. Take your cash and run away from banks, in short. Pillows will be the most sold commodity soon

You are right. I was thinking in terms of loans not deposits. But I would still like to see when banks pay to us when they give money to us

eurofreek:
You are right. I was thinking in terms of loans not deposits. But I would still like to see when banks pay to us when they give money to us

That I wild love to see too

Reason: