Writing my own forex client - Information needed to connect to server

I'm writting my own forex client in visual basic 6.0

I'm looking for documentation about connecting to a forex server and get information. As you know I've to know the commands, ports, ip addresses, etc... to connect to a forex server and get information about ticks, etc...

A guy of this forum said me something about DDE (I cannot read it again, since it seems the post has been deleted).

Any suggestion will be welcome.

For start here is one thread that you might find useful : https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/179098

fjesq:
I'm writting my own forex client in visual basic 6.0

I'm looking for documentation about connecting to a forex server and get information. As you know I've to know the commands, ports, ip addresses, etc... to connect to a forex server and get information about ticks, etc...

A guy of this forum said me something about DDE (I cannot read it again, since it seems the post has been deleted).

Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks mladen, you was the man that said me about DDE.

Reading again my notes, I've found a way to accomplish the thing I want.

Create an external file where MT4 prints the ticks and then using the vb program, read that information and show in a graph.

Instead of getting the info directly from the server using vb... MT4 gets the info from the server (As usual) and then creates a file where vb reads the information.

Yes, that is one of the possible solutions

Just in case that you haven't stumbled upon it, here is a thread about extended file functions from codersguru : https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/173113

fjesq:
Thanks mladen, you was the man that said me about DDE.

Reading again my notes, I've found a way to accomplish the thing I want.

Create an external file where MT4 prints the ticks and then using the vb program, read that information and show in a graph.

Instead of getting the info directly from the server using vb... MT4 gets the info from the server (As usual) and then creates a file where vb reads the information.

Thanks mlanden,

I've read the codersguru thread about DDE and it's amazingly simple to do. It gets the information directly from MT4 without needing to write files or anything similar. And the visual basic code is very short.

Reason: