Know Sure Thing - page 2

pooh123:
Sorry, I still don't get it. What do you mean that the 0 replaces KSTTimeFrame's 1 and 2 ?

Yes, it does.

Hi Mr Tools,

This is weird. I tried all the KST EA's you provided and none of them issued orders during backtest. Also, I modified my version with your suggestion. I removed the forEA indicator and used KST_v1 directly. But still it doesn't work. The journal shows that the KST_v1 indicator keeps being removed from weekly chart. Could you please take a look at the EA ?

Also, could you please do this with one of the KST EA you created: strip it of all the mm, sl, and tp, hedge...just leave the part of signal generation and order open/close. That way it's easier for us to isolate and identify the problem.

Thanks

Files:
kst_ea1.mq4  4 kb

Hi Pooh123,

Am working on it currently getting them to back test and will go from there, may take a little while just to let you know.

Thank you Mr Tools. Take your time. In the mean time, I have a PDF file on KST that some visitors to the thread might find helpful and I'd like to post it here. I tried posting it but was denied as it's over 3m. Is there any way for me to post that file ?

Maybe put it in zip or rar file may work that way, if not may have to upload to something like 4shared and then leave link here, think thats ok.

Hi pooh123,

I can not upload more than 3m too to the forum.

There are 2 ways to upload:

- you will send it to me, and I will upload using Winrar by few parts of it (every part of the file will not be more than 2m). I did it many times on the forum.

or

- you can use this service Box | Simple Online Collaboration: Online File Storage, FTP Replacement, Team Workspaces and upload file there and after that - post the link to this thread.

Hi Newdigital,

I'd like to send it to you. It seems that I cannot attach a file with PM. So may I have your email address ?

Thanks

Pooh, this is your version, not bad, the only problem i see is the bumps the Ea by the code is thinking and kst that the trend is changing, now i understand why you were looking so many bars back could be a way to avoid these bumbs in the road, so in your code maybe can try this instead of iCustom(NULL,KSTTimeFrame,"KST_v1",KSTMode,0,1) (BTW worked fine without the 0 for timeframe),

use iCustom(NULL,KSTTimeFrame,"KST_v1",KSTMode,0,bar1) on the next bar2,bar3, and bar4.

Then

extern int bar1 = 1; // think would be good to leave this at 1

extern int bar2 = 3; // or whatever number

extern int bar3 = 2; // think 2 might be good idea but maybe better to have it > bar2

extern int bar4 = 5; // or whatever number

This way give you more possibilities.

Files:

This version back tests now this is the cross and slope version but added a condition for it to only enter buys if the slope and cross happen below zero and sells if down cross and down slope happen above zero.

Files:
kst-_ea.mq4  34 kb

Hi Mr Tools,

This version of EA doesn't work at W1 timeframe. If you set timeframe at 10080, it doesn't work. Could you please look into this for me ? This is the problem I'm facing.

I just managed to register at BOX and loaded my PDF file there. The link:(eBook) Stocks & Commodities - Various Trend Trading Articles.pdf - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

(newdigital, no need to bother you with posting the file now)

Those are articles on trend following and one of which introduced KST (Know Sure Thing). The article is Pick Out Your Trading Trend by Martin Spring. According to Spring, KST for long term trend should be based on weekly or monthly charts. And I agree with him. In my opinion, KST doesn't have any advantage with short or intermediate term trends compared with other indicators. Its killing edge is with long term trend. So traders only base their trades on m1,m5~h4 charts can forget about this indicator. Its major application is in long-term trend following. The attached is a comparison of two versions of KST. The upper one is plotted on d1 timeframe. The lower one is plotted on d1 timeframe too. But the data for the lower one is actually from w1 timeframe. I made this conversion so that one bar on w1 becomes 6 bar on the d1 chart. It's essentially a mtf version of KST. From the comparison you can see that the lower one has more lag, but it is more in line with the long term trend, has much less false signals, and much smoother. If the EA trades off the lower chart, there'll be much fewer trades, and for long term trend following system, it's those frequent trades based on false signals that hurt the account the most.

The other version of my EA is based on that forEA indicator. As the most recent 6 bars on that indicator belong to one week and has the same value, to avoid re-calculating, my signal is based on 7 bar, 13 bar in the past.

Anyway, need your help to resolve the problem with this version of EA that it doesn't work on w1.

Thanks a million.

Files:
Reason: