First in, First out

I saw a note today where they are going to do a first in first out, type of thing with forex. first of all is that true?

Does it mean if you have a trade thats down and you enter to double down that you have to exit the original trade before you can exit the double down?

I don't think you understand the concept of FIFO. It is used as a queue, and is pretty standard practice in the real stock and futures exchanges. This is to prevent any kind of favor in hitting the filling of the order. If you place an limit order at 1.000 first, and the next guy puts in the order after you at the same 1.000 price. Then you order will be filled first because you are first in. Same as stops, first out.

This mostly is introduced to prevent the market makers from hitting their own orders while bypassing others. This prevents cheating by the market maker.

droesparky:
I saw a note today where they are going to do a first in first out, type of thing with forex. first of all is that true? Does it mean if you have a trade thats down and you enter to double down that you have to exit the original trade before you can exit the double down?

The FIFO rule passed by the NFA will determine the order in which you can close out positions.

Right now, you can close out any trade you want in any order. That will change. First In First Out means that when you have multiple positions in the same currency pair, the position which was first opened will be the first to be closed.

If you trade with a US based broker, and have an expert advisor, you will need to make sure your expert advisor is configured properly to work with the new rules.

You may remember that the NFA also did away with hedging. The FIFO rule was a part of the same ruling which did away with hedging. They just gave brokers more time to institute FIFO.

We have also put togethor a list of FIFO frequently asked questions found here

If one has a long term position, that is in profit, and opens a shorter term position in the same currency pair, that may currently be at a loss, the US TAX people what you to close the profitable position. Holding the lost in your account. Now, how is that good?

Jason Rogers

I have a question. How is the account in UK treaded tax wise? Are we subject to double taxation? or are the people from the US on our own good behavure to tend to that business?

You don't have double taxation anywhere.

You pay your taxes in your country, even if your accounts are on other countries.

Joe

You dont know the US.

Jason Rogers

My question is, does one pay gain taxes in the UK, only to pay them again in the US. How also, does FXCM UK report tax liability to the US or is one on his own to report gains to their own country? Does FXCM UK, because they have a US office, report and or collect US taxes from US people. Is FXCM UK, seperate from its US company? How is the two actually tied together?

Don't worry i know my subject

Biggest countries, have agreements to don't double taxes residents.

So, i know, US, France, Belgium, and UK have those agreements, if you are a UK man you have to pay taxes on uk.

You should fill some declaration to send to the US ambassy to say you pay already taxes, or something like this.

Take an accountant, that's the best

That is very weird, in my trading experience on the futures market, FIFO is about order filling.

I gotta brush up on all these new regulations by the NFA. But I guess it doesn't really strikes me because I'm so used to these rules already set in place on the Futures market. There was never hedging or choosing with part of the order to close. I don't even think about it.

Hi,

I have to agree with Joe on this one. You would be required to report it where you reside. I've never heard of any of our traders having their gains taxed twice. Even then, please still consult a tax advisor. We have clients from over 200 countries so we can't know the intricacies of every countries' tax code.

FXCM UK doesn't report any account information to any tax agencies. It has the same policy as FXCM US, no witholding or reporting to any tax agencies.

FXCM UK is a separate entity from FXCM US. You can find the business registration name of each entity in each country on our website here. The way it works is that there is a separate entity registered in each country that we have an office or presence in. And FXCM Holdings LLC is the parent company that owns all of the FXCM entities.

cockeyedcowboy:
Joe

You dont know the US.

Jason Rogers

My question is, does one pay gain taxes in the UK, only to pay them again in the US. How also, does FXCM UK report tax liability to the US or is one on his own to report gains to their own country? Does FXCM UK, because they have a US office, report and or collect US taxes from US people. Is FXCM UK, seperate from its US company? How is the two actually tied together?

cockeyedcowboy:
are the people from the US on our own good behavure to tend to that business?

goes on your own good behavior

Reason: