Some thoughts on an effective EA

OK, first up forgive me for my simplistic non techo talk but I wanted to just place on the table my thoughts so far on an effective EA that actually works.

After many weeks of trying many many EA's this is what I have found.

It seems relatively easy to construct an EA that is profitable in trending markets, the problem occurs in sideways markets where the small moves cause the buy and sell to lose profit at a rate of knots.

This is because the EA buys but at the close of the buy, but the move is so small that the next signal is slightly lower and actually results in a loss.

I have tried many many filters but have reached the conclusion that what is needed is as follows.

1. An indicator to base the EA on that does not repaint the past, indicators such as ARROW_RSI-8_CROSS-55 45alarton.mq4 seem to fit this requirement.

2. An indicator that you can set so that no matter where the next signal occurs in the trend, the last signal is lower or higher than the new signal, thus the EA is always in profit even if a small profit.

I hope the attached pic will attempt to explain what I mean.

So now the request

3. Does anyone have an indicator that can be set irrespective of max profit (i.e. irrespective of where the signals appear in the trend), but that only signals when the new signal will be in profit compared to the last, as in pic 2?

I welcome any comments, ideas, feedback, but please do not give me stacks of techo speak and fancy filters codes etc.

My object here for everyone is to keep this ultra simple and fulfill the request made in 3.

Files:
pic.jpg  143 kb

No thoughts?

hi

I suggest you to explore highlow zigzag indicator , that's good indicator if you know what exactly the trend is

===================

Forex Indicators Collection

prasxz:
I suggest you to explore highlow zigzag indicator , that's good indicator if you know what exactly the trend is

===================

Forex Indicators Collection

Yes you are right it looks good, but I cannot get icustom line to work in EA, any suggestions anyone

increase:
Yes you are right it looks good, but I cannot get icustom line to work in EA, any suggestions anyone

Could you post the error your getting?

jturns23:
Could you post the error your getting?

It's not an error it just does not return anything but zero

val1 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "High_Low (ZigZag)",300,6,0,0);

val1 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "High_Low (ZigZag)",300,6,0,1);

Files:

increase:
It's not an error it just does not return anything but zero

val1 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "High_Low (ZigZag)",300,6,0,0);

val1 = iCustom(NULL, 0, "High_Low (ZigZag)",300,6,0,1);

val1= iCustom(NULL, 0, "High_Low (ZigZag)",300,6,0,0);

val2= iCustom(NULL, 0, "High_Low (ZigZag)",300,6,0,1);

jturns23:
val1= iCustom(NULL, 0, "High_Low (ZigZag)",300,6,0,0); val2= iCustom(NULL, 0, "High_Low (ZigZag)",300,6,0,1);

Yes sorry that was a type, but your lines still return 0?

increase:
Yes sorry that was a type, but your lines still return 0?

The value will be zero until a high or a low is established. So you will have a zero value a lot of the time. Does that make sense?

jturns23:
The value will be zero until a high or a low is established. So you will have a zero value a lot of the time. Does that make sense?

yes I agree but I can run it all day on strategy test and it always returns zero

Oh I get it, it works in demo but not in strategy test even at the slowest setting? Thanks I will try it now

Reason: