RSI crossover EA - page 5

capian:
Thanks for the help Shinigami,

So that EA probably won't help me.

I changed a few of the values on it to try and get it closer to what I have but then I couldn't get it to work.

I am thinking that I should really try and learn how to code an EA myself.

Could you point me in the right direction as to where I should start.

Maybe I could get a template to start on and then change whatever needs to be changed to suit my own system, but I can't seem to work out the language.

Is it similar to writing an Excel formula??

Thanks in advance

Ian

Hi,

I learned programming on MQL4 in a very simple way - I just opened up an existing EA and tried to "read" its code, understand it. Then I tried to modify it to see if it works.

MQL4: automated forex trading, strategy tester and custom indicators with MetaTrader really helped me

But I had base knowledge of C++, how it works, made few programs in it (1 year in university). MQL4 is similar to C++, so I recommend trying some C++ book first, or any other programming language (might be harder since they may be quite different).

Basically, learning a programming language is the same as trying to learn a foreign language and then "speak" it, write small text in it. It takes time to get used to it, understand what leads to what.

Also, making algorithm (any) really helps in making EAs or indicators. Like, writing down or drawing a picture of how it should work, what leads to what, what choices/checks we make and what results lead to what actions.

Hope you'll find this information useful. Basically: practice makes perfect. Keep trying and in a few years you might be able to write good, stable EAs from the first try.

Though I'd recommend learning trading to be able to make reliable, profitable manual trading systems, which can then be converted into EAs using profit they have already made you. EAs are just tools made to help you automate some processes, they can't replace a good trader completely.

- edit 16.08.2010 -

Made a new version of the EA. Changes:

- cleaned up the code, organized it all in a neat way

- made magic number changeable through settings

- fixed a bug that made the EA open several orders in a row, now there is a limit on one order per bar (one buy, one sell)

- added a parameter that allows the EA to close a single order per minute or close all orders as soon as possible

- updated comments to include my mail, so that people can contact me

New version is attached.

Feel free to contact me if you want a private version of the EA.

i need 10 post

i need 10 post

so is this EA any good how are the results

yeah but shen, to lean MQL is very easy if u already know C++

Hi Shinigami,

I tried to backtested your code, here is the settings.

Platform: FXCM MT4 Demo

Initial Balance: 10K USD, long and short,

Start: 01 Aug 2010, End: 27 Aug 2010.

I didn't change any expert input parameters.

And here is the result:

Bars in test 1977

Ticks modelled 4395801

Modelling quality n/a

Mismatched charts errors 1828

Initial deposit 10000.00

Total net profit -570.93

Gross profit 869.07

Gross loss -1440.00

Profit factor 0.60

Expected payoff -2.47

Absolute drawdown 588.73

Maximal drawdown 591.13 (5.91%)

Relative drawdown 5.91% (591.13)

Total trades 231

Short positions (won %) 150 (40.00%)

Long positions (won %) 81 (33.33%)

Profit trades (% of total) 87 (37.66%)

Loss trades (% of total) 144 (62.34%)

Largest

profit trade 10.00

loss trade -10.00

Average

profit trade 9.99

loss trade -10.00

Maximum

consecutive wins (profit in money) 5 (50.00)

consecutive losses (loss in money) 9 (-90.00)

Maximal

consecutive profit (count of wins) 50.00 (5)

consecutive loss (count of losses) -90.00 (9)

Average

consecutive wins 2

consecutive losses 3

Now, it has made 571 USD loss in just August, 2010. But I saw in some of your earlier post that it is profitable in 2009. How is that possible? What's wrong in my test?

Shinigami:
Hi,

I learned programming on MQL4 in a very simple way - I just opened up an existing EA and tried to "read" its code, understand it. Then I tried to modify it to see if it works.

really helped me

But I had base knowledge of C++, how it works, made few programs in it (1 year in university). MQL4 is similar to C++, so I recommend trying some C++ book first, or any other programming language (might be harder since they may be quite different).

Basically, learning a programming language is the same as trying to learn a foreign language and then "speak" it, write small text in it. It takes time to get used to it, understand what leads to what.

Also, making algorithm (any) really helps in making EAs or indicators. Like, writing down or drawing a picture of how it should work, what leads to what, what choices/checks we make and what results lead to what actions.

Hope you'll find this information useful. Basically: practice makes perfect. Keep trying and in a few years you might be able to write good, stable EAs from the first try.

Though I'd recommend learning trading to be able to make reliable, profitable manual trading systems, which can then be converted into EAs using profit they have already made you. EAs are just tools made to help you automate some processes, they can't replace a good trader completely.

- edit 16.08.2010 -

Made a new version of the EA. Changes:

- cleaned up the code, organized it all in a neat way

- made magic number changeable through settings

- fixed a bug that made the EA open several orders in a row, now there is a limit on one order per bar (one buy, one sell)

- added a parameter that allows the EA to close a single order per minute or close all orders as soon as possible

- updated comments to include my mail, so that people can contact me

New version is attached.

Feel free to contact me if you want a private version of the EA.

help need

Hey Shinigami,

i need your help , i need a EA which close the order when the price cross the RSI 21 EMA.

can u please help me in this.

Thanks

Umesh Patel

Reason: