Community Help: Protecting copyright - page 4

daraknor:
Can we compare the screenshots to copyrighted code on this site please? That will be proof and we can kick this person off the net, cancel the credit card processing, and get a list of transactions.

I compareed screenshort with the Metatrader chart on the same pair, timaframe, date and hour.

I don't know all the indicators but the first indicator on his chart looks like NonLagMA_v4.1 by Igorad. Seller changed the color and he is using some settings. And probable he modified this indicator a little. I think the first indicator is just modification of NonlagMA or StepMA indicator. But it is very difficult to prove it.

It is very difficult to get the same screenshort as the seller modified the indicators by himself.

newdigital:
I compareed screenshort with the Metatrader chart on the same pair, timaframe, date and hour.

I don't know all the indicators but the first indicator on his chart looks like NonLagMA_v4.1 by Igorad. Seller changed the color and he is using some settings. And probable he modified this indicator a little. I think the first indicator is just modification of NonlagMA or StepMA indicator. But it is very difficult to prove it.

It is very difficult to get the same screenshort as the seller modified the indicators by himself.

We don't need to prove it, just substantiate the claim. (give resources, not try to convict.) The distributor of the code needs to prove they have copyright. Can we get the IP address of that user? Do you record the downloads in your "/var/log/httpd/access_log" file? We don't need IP addresses or download history, but you might be able to get a list of all indicators, and then narrow down what he did.

If the copyright holders want to enforce their copyright and we collect legal evidence, we can move on to the next step: lawsuit. With significant evidence, he may want to plea bargain. You should be compensated from the damages because you helped prepare the legal defense. (Usually in America, you would send us a bill, and then we sue for damages + the bill you send.) A typical rate is $100-200/hour. Keep track of your time.

If you could send me the screenshots I can forward them to the ISP, or you can post them here (or better in a separate thread) and we can send an email with a link to view.

FX_Sniper: I think there is a major difference between what we want, and what vBulletin allows. I haven't used it, but there are some serious requests there.

To be legally binding copyright, all the developer needs is: date of first publish, declare themselves the author. Redistribution licenses simply aren't covered on the site, we *really should* pick a license for code on a separate download page. To be legally binding, the license should be mentioned in the source code and/or included with a binary.

It is harder to catch people who have source because they can change color. We don't need to prove this with screenshot, they would need to send us a vastly different source file that does the same thing *with a prior date* to have any defense.

I will think more about this... I personally like the idea of "no code at all for 3 days" to give someone a chance to validate the user. one of the abusers is back (the guy who posted and started this whole thing) and he has a copy of Hendrick's new code now. Bad Combo. NewDigital: did you ban his IP, or just his username?

daraknor:
We don't need to prove it, just substantiate the claim. (give resources, not try to convict.) The distributor of the code needs to prove they have copyright. Can we get the IP address of that user? Do you record the downloads in your "/var/log/httpd/access_log" file? We don't need IP addresses or download history, but you might be able to get a list of all indicators, and then narrow down what he did.

If the copyright holders want to enforce their copyright and we collect legal evidence, we can move on to the next step: lawsuit. With significant evidence, he may want to plea bargain. You should be compensated from the damages because you helped prepare the legal defense. (Usually in America, you would send us a bill, and then we sue for damages + the bill you send.) A typical rate is $100-200/hour. Keep track of your time.

If you could send me the screenshots I can forward them to the ISP, or you can post them here (or better in a separate thread) and we can send an email with a link to view.

Only I have seller's screenshorts from his website. And seller's IP address. But it is not enough. Seller should prove something. Or somebody should claim that it is copywrite violation by him. Who is claiming? Who was violated? So this person should give an information that indicators are suppose to him. How we can re-act on some thinkings only?

I just compare the seller's screenshort from his website with my indicator which I have inside my computer. Not exactly the same because the seller seems modified the indicators.

daraknor:
NewDigital: did you ban his IP, or just his username?

You are talking about Russian guy who wanted to sell indicators/EAs on ebay?

I spoke with ebay: no any his IP, or email, or username were registered on ebay. Besides I spoke with him in Russian language yesterday evening in our forum (he created the thread). All that I understand that somebody is in competition with our forum. I don't think he will sell. It was bad joke. And I don't think that he started something.

Besides accouding to his Russian language probable he is not Russian (he is typing/speaking Russian as a Frech speaker). His email is from Mexican website. If he will sell something so I know how to re-act instantly from inside of Russia for example. I think he will not do it.

I banned him, then he registered once again on other username. I will not ban his IP because in this case he will use some free software to generate any IP (he has dynamic IP now).

It is better to ignore him. It was something related to competition between forums or some people. I banned many people who are selling piracy software so he was some reaction on something. I don't think he will sell.

Just think: why non - Russian is having Russian username and speak Russian with difficulties and using email from Mexican architectural/construction website and speaking about KGB? I think it was something different ... Somebody was angry for something or competition.

Reason: