How do i use the inputs for the ZigZag Indicator?

Hi,

Could someone explain to me how the inputs for the ZigZag indicator work? I tried looking through the code but there arn't any comments explaining how to use them, or how they affect the indicator. Ive been scratching my head at this problem for quite a while and finally decided to ask for some help.

Inputs for ZigZag indicator:

ExtDepth

ExtDeviation

ExtBackstep

And also. Why does this happen?:

ShaderZ:
Hi,

Could someone explain to me how the inputs for the ZigZag indicator work? I tried looking through the code but there arn't any comments explaining how to use them, or how they affect the indicator. Ive been scratching my head at this problem for quite a while and finally decided to ask for some help.

Inputs for ZigZag indicator:

ExtDepth

ExtDeviation

ExtBackstep

And also. Why does this happen?:

I am not expert on zigzag but I think that it is seaching the low (for example) from the current bar up to ExtDepth periods back (ExtDepth bars back). If the new Low was not fould the indicator returns zero (no new Low).

val=Low[Lowest(NULL,0,MODE_LOW,ExtDepth,shift)];

if(val==lastlow) val=0.0;[/CODE]

If the new Low was found so the indicator check this current new Low with the previous Low and if the current new Low is higher of the previous Low on the ExtDeviation point (if ExtDeviation=5 so if new Low is higher previous Low on 5 point) the indicator will not consider this new Low as a Low and we will still have the previous one:

if((Low[shift]-val)>(ExtDeviation*Point)) val=0.0;

What is ExtBackstep?

If we have several equal Lows (with the same value) so the indicator will consider the last one only.

If the current Low is higher than previous one but not more higher then previos Low plus ExtDeviation so we have the following:

[CODE]for(back=1; back<=ExtBackstep; back++)

It means that indicator will check everything from the previous bar up to ExtBackstep bar.

Hi,

I want to code an EA using Zigzag. Is there a way to get the value of the zigzag indicator; I mean the last top or bottom before the current position?

Cheers,

Daniel

zigzag expert

Hi

In the metaeditor online code library there is one called fractal zigzag that goes against all of the rules but works good on h1 and up charts.

Dr Gaine$$$$$$$$$$

dvarrin:
Hi,

I want to code an EA using Zigzag. Is there a way to get the value of the zigzag indicator; I mean the last top or bottom before the current position?

Cheers,

Daniel

ZigZag

i'm looking for a zigzag indicator and an explanation of how it works, can anyone help?

You can go to the other thread "general discussion"

This one maybe uses zigzag but exits and resumes on fractals.

Might work probably need to find sweet spot in settings.

Zigzag could be a very profitable indicator when joined with Momentum and RSI.

ZigZag indicator question

Hi all !

How can I retrieve (by code) the price for some point of the zigzag indicator ?

Suppose I want to know what is the price for the "corners" of the zigzag in that picture?

Thanks!

Files:
zigzag.gif  12 kb

yaniv_av:
Hi all !

How can I retrieve (by code) the price for some point of the zigzag indicator ?

Suppose I want to know what is the price for the "corners" of the zigzag in that picture?

Thanks!

Well the whole problem with ZZ isnt ZZ, its broker data all they need do is change one little thing 4 days back when we don't see and it gives different result.Sick of watching this right before my eyes even the ones with repaint history the dates on the permanent arrows change like broker has moved the data high lows etc.Ive sent pictures to brokers asking why is this what have you done to the data they don't reply.Also that fractal_ZZ EA it opens limit orders I cant see how thats ZZ or fractals trading but maybe worth a test.

Also if anyone know where the Fractal_ZigZag custom indicator is to use the EA.....

This expert was made from a fractal zig zag indicator created |

//| by ikorigin expert, made by bobammax,

02:19:27 Fractal_ZigZag_Expert GBPUSDm,H1: SetIndexBuffer function must be called from custom indicator only

Not all the brokers can 'satisfy' us, they have to do something to make money.

Reason: