SymbolSelect(SYM,false) - isn't it working - or do I do something wrong? - page 3

Aecio de Feo Flora Neto:

Not from broker, but from metaquotes. Not sure it is a good idea.

And why is that?

Aecio de Feo Flora Neto:

1. Market has to be opened in order to load history. This is very bad, IMHO.

2. Symbol has to be loaded in a chart at least once in target timeframe.

I am only building code in script due to nature of how indicator works.

I really don't understand why this has to be this way, it raises many limitations in the platform this way.

1. No, you can download from your broker when you are connected. Brokers sometimes do maintenance when market is closed, but come back online long before market opens.
  2. No, code can ask for prices from any symbol, any TF. Unless the chart is that specific pair/TF, you must handle 4066/4073 errors. See Download history in MQL4 EA - MQL4 and MetaTrader 4 - MQL4 programming forum. Three times I have told you that and you have totally ignored it.
  3. Depends on what you are trying to do. Draw line, use a indicator. Trading, use a EA. Scripts are supposed to be one time executions.
  4. You "really don't understand" how things work, and ignore answers given.. That is why you are confused.

whroeder1:
  1. No, you can download from your broker when you are connected. Brokers sometimes do maintenance when market is closed, but come back online long before market opens.
  2. No, code can ask for prices from any symbol, any TF. Unless the chart is that specific pair/TF, you must handle 4066/4073 errors. See Download history in MQL4 EA - MQL4 and MetaTrader 4 - MQL4 programming forum. Three times I have told you that and you have totally ignored it.
  3. Depends on what you are trying to do. Draw line, use a indicator. Trading, use a EA. Scripts are supposed to be one time executions.
  4. You "really don't understand" how things work, and ignore answers given.. That is why you are confused.

Thanks a lot.

All your comments were not ignored. I am using a downloading routine similar to the link you sent here.

I had erased all my history from PC disk and now it seems to be working fine.

Many thanks!

Reason: