Need help - Terminal will not launch

I don't know if this is a MQL4 question or a Windows question. This has happened a couple of times now with a demo account. I don't want to lose a live account this way:

• I make a mistake in a Custom indicator, infinite loop for example, the terminal freezes and I have to close it through the Windows Task Manager.

• Then the terminal will no longer launch. 

Q:  How do I correct this condition?

Thanks in advance for any help! 

LouK:

• Then the terminal will no longer launch. 

Do you mean that the platform opens and immediately freezes?

If so, and you know which indicator you are using, open the indicator mq4 file in the compiler and remove the code that is causing the problem, recompile. 

If you actually unintentionally coded an infinite loop, that could cause a whole bunch of problems.  Take Gum's advice and go back through your code.  If you intentionally coded an infinite loop, that is a bad idea, and you need to go through your code and get rid of it.

GumRai:

Do you mean that the platform opens and immediately freezes?

If so, and you know which indicator you are using, open the indicator mq4 file in the compiler and remove the code that is causing the problem, recompile. 

I have done this. I have removed the indicator altogether. Yet the terminal still will not launch. It may flash the chart for a second, then closes.

I opened the account in another terminal. The account info came up correctly. But now it will not write to a common file, says it doesn't exist now.  I do not understand the filing system since the big mt4 update. I used to be able to find each terminal and clone it or search through it's folder easily. Now I don't know what the terminal is anymore. The apparent random string names for the folders containing it's support files. The roaming stuff.

OK. For starters, why doesn't this "terminal" see the common file anymore?

I'm primarily a Mac person - I don't get the MQL4/Windows roaming filing setup at all. Perhaps you could refer me to sources to help learn about it. The main question is how to remove the error status.

I really appreciate your help.

JD4:
If you actually unintentionally coded an infinite loop, that could cause a whole bunch of problems.  Take Gum's advice and go back through your code.  If you intentionally coded an infinite loop, that is a bad idea, and you need to go through your code and get rid of it.
No, I did not intentionally code an infinite loop.

I know this might not be the ideal solution, but did you try uninstalling and reinstalling MT4?  As far as losing your account, you should be able to write down the information, acct number, user ID/number, and password, then when you start it up again after reinstall, you should be able to use that info and get back in to an existing account.  I realize that this might not work in this case, but it is something that you can and should do in the future.

LouK:
The roaming stuff
I'm primarily a Mac person - I don't get the MQL4/Windows roaming filing setup at all.
  1. Data Structure in MetaTrader 4 Build 600 and Higher - MQL4 Articles 17.02.2014
  2. Program goes in \programFiles.
  3. The data for the specific user logged in goes in \users\USER\appdata... Two people useing the same machine, can't use the same directory.
  4. The appdata\roaming allows users on a business network to use any machine, log in and have their personal files appear in appdata\roaming (network redirection.)
LouK: No, I did not intentionally code an infinite loop.
Perhaps unintentionally. Delete the indicator's ex4 and restart the terminal.
Reason: