Are Experts that are compiled on the latest version of MT5 guaranteed to work on earlier versions of MT5?

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following.

I have modified several of my Experts and re-compiled them using the compiler from the latest build of MT5 (build 871). However, because the latest versions of MT5 crashes/freezes regularly (at this stage, it appears that these crash/freeze issues come down to the number of open positions - i.e. lots of open positions and MT5 crashes/freezes regularly), I have to run my Experts on MT5 build 842 or lower. 

So my question is, if none of the latest features are used in my Expert code (i.e. all code is build 842 compatible), is an Expert compiled on build 871 guaranteed to work on a build 842 configuration?

And before someone asks why I don't just compile it on my build 842 platform - my build 842 platform has had to be hacked together after discovering these crash/freezing issues with later builds and being unable to go back to an earlier build (it's unbelievable but both brokers and MetaQuotes keep NO previous releases of MT5, so if you have any issues with a new build... Not much fun when you're trading a live account.).

cowil:

Hi,

I have modified several of my Experts and re-compiled them using the compiler from the latest build of MT5 (build 871). However, because the latest versions of MT5 crashes/freezes regularly (at this stage, it appears that these crash/freeze issues come down to the number of open positions - i.e. lots of open positions and MT5 crashes/freezes regularly), I have to run my Experts on MT5 build 842 or lower. 

So my question is, if none of the latest features are used in my Expert code (i.e. all code is build 842 compatible), is an Expert compiled on build 871 guaranteed to work on a build 842 configuration?

And before someone asks why I don't just compile it on my build 842 platform - my build 842 platform has had to be hacked together after discovering these crash/freezing issues with later builds and being unable to go back to an earlier build (it's unbelievable but both brokers and MetaQuotes keep NO previous releases of MT5, so if you have any issues with a new build... Not much fun when you're trading a live account.).

I think it is really hard to give you an accurate answer here, but being as it is the problem seems to com from 'inside' the terminals position handling system which communicate with the OS. This should have nothing to do with the programs you write. Based on this my guess is that these programs will work fine on earlier builds. Anyway I am definetly no expert on this topic so I suggest you ask from the service desk. I will post a ticket with similar issue provided I can reproduce it.

Good luck.

cowil:

Hi,

There is no such guarantee, never. It can work or not, independently of the fact you are using latest features or not. 

I have a MetaEditor build 842/64.

angevoyageur:

There is no such guarantee, never. It can work or not, independently of the fact you are using latest features or not. 

I have a MetaEditor build 842/64.

Mmmmm... thought that would probably be the case...

And thanks for offering your build 842 MetaEditor - I also still have this with my 842 hacked version but was a bit concerned it'd need access to registry settings etc which would only be set when a proper install was done? Although having said that, those Registry settings etc would probably have been set correctly with the way I did the hack. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to just try it and see where I end up...

Thanks for your response! 

Candles:

I think it is really hard to give you an accurate answer here, but being as it is the problem seems to com from 'inside' the terminals position handling system which communicate with the OS. This should have nothing to do with the programs you write. Based on this my guess is that these programs will work fine on earlier builds. Anyway I am definetly no expert on this topic so I suggest you ask from the service desk. I will post a ticket with similar issue provided I can reproduce it.

Good luck.

Thanks for your response Candles. I think I'll heed angevoyageur's advice here (above) and see how I go with my hacked build 842 MetaEditor... And if you manage to confirm the multiple order issue and are able to independently report it with the service desk, that would be fantastic!
Reason: