Comments Visible Inputs Dialog Box - page 2

angevoyageur:

Nope.

Comment is displayed if #property strict is use, with both extern and input.

If #property strict is NOT used, variable name is displayed, with both extern and input.

Sorry for my mistake

I had made the assumption because it didn't happen with older code using Extern instead of input and hadn't noticed that the newer code also had property strict.

D0n:

Use double semicolons after your setting's initial value:

This way comments will not replace external variable names in settings window. (because semicolon means "new line" and comments for replacing variable names is working in the same line only)
I hope this helps you all.

I have also pulled some of my hair because of this stupid thing. Comments are for programmers. For users there is (should be) an instruction manual in a separate pdf or txt or anything, not in the settings window. Blahhh.... :P

Finally a good solution for this 'beautiful' feature!!

Thanks D0n!!

BTW,  the strict property doesn't change a thing for me: regardless of the strict property, comments are displayed.
If it is working for angevoyageur, there must be something else also involved.

The documentation says:

"String comments instead of extern and input variable names are displayed for scripts in show_inputs mode in the input parameters window"

So, it should work only for scripts, only at enabled show_inputs property. Yet it's showing comments for EA's, too, where show_inputs property has no effect as input variables are always shown...
I had to enable strict mode because I have to check if OnInit() went ok or failed. But this move caused a mess in settings window.

Anyway, we have a workaround now. :)

D0n:

The documentation says:

"String comments instead of extern and input variable names are displayed for scripts in show_inputs mode in the input parameters window"

So, it should work only for scripts, only at enabled show_inputs property. Yet it's showing comments for EA's, too, where show_inputs property has no effect as input variables are always shown...
I had to enable strict mode because I have to check if OnInit() went ok or failed. But this move caused a mess in settings window.

Anyway, we have a workaround now. :)

It's an error in documentation, it works as expected.

graziani:

Finally a good solution for this 'beautiful' feature!!

Thanks D0n!!

BTW,  the strict property doesn't change a thing for me: regardless of the strict property, comments are displayed.
If it is working for angevoyageur, there must be something else also involved.

Which build ? I checked it again with build 1035, and it works as I previously explain for any kind of program.

MT4 all builds, we are on mql4 ....

and now i checked it with 1035 also ..... and i get the comments regardless of #property strict.

on both MT4 and MT5 i tried it out with an EA in strategy tester .... and now i will also check it by adding EA on graph. OK, checked, same also.

actually, i think we discussed this before.... and it doesn't matter now as there is a simple solution.

angevoyageur:
It's an error in documentation, it works as expected.

Unfortunately... :)

Btw in case of comments present beside external/input variables there could be a new column inserted on the left in settings window where the comments would appear. This way variable names would appear along with the comments and everyone would be happy.

Anyways, I'm already happy with the ;; thing.

D0n:

Unfortunately... :)

Btw in case of comments present beside external/input variables there could be a new column inserted on the left in settings window where the comments would appear. This way variable names would appear along with the comments and everyone would be happy.

Anyways, I'm already happy with the ;; thing.

99% of MT4 users are happy, but the 1% remaining make a lot of noise...Specially graziani

Alain Verleyen:

Nope.

Comment is displayed if #property strict is use, with both extern and input.

If #property strict is NOT used, variable name is displayed, with both extern and input.

Very usefull, thank you

Reason: