Common data folder for classes

Hi Folks, 

I'm convinced there's an article that explains how to use the common data folder for classes. But I can't find it. I've searched via google and via this search form.

I've tried to create classes in the folder, doesn't want to do it, I've tried to import the classes, no joy, I've tried to create a library in the folder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? The idea is to have single place for classes that I can use in all my instances of MT4. 

PumPuiMonkey:

Hi Folks, 

I'm convinced there's an article that explains how to use the common data folder for classes. But I can't find it. I've searched via google and via this search form.

I've tried to create classes in the folder, doesn't want to do it, I've tried to import the classes, no joy, I've tried to create a library in the folder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? The idea is to have single place for classes that I can use in all my instances of MT4. 

Common folder is for data, not code. It's currently not possible to share directly code between several instances of MT4.

What I do is to use mql5 storage.

Thanks Angevoyageur, 

I see you can store classes in there. Looks like it was designed from the start to work like that. 

Not my thing though, like to keep my classes to myself. 

I don't like cloud based storage either it feels like a security risk, I wonder is there an encryption based solution to that ?

SDC:

I don't like cloud based storage either it feels like a security risk, I wonder is there an encryption based solution to that ?

I security risk for what ? Nobody takes care to your code (Nothing personal, nobody takes care to my code either).

Yes you are right for now, but they might start to care if our codes is part of a million dollar EA ;)

SDC:

Yes you are right for now, but they might start to care if our codes is part of a million dollar EA ;)

I hope you do.

I do not think that versioning system is intended for synchronizing classes over a single computer. Good for sharing or backup.

I am accessing a few folders inside the MQL4 using symbolic links among MT4 terminal installations. It works quite well, just you should avoid linking some terminal-specific folders like \files or folders that get modified by a terminal during update.

Reason: