level of automation

There are more ways to do things now. e.g. charts.mqh

Is it possible to automate the DAT and HST builds?

i.e. if you backtest 1 min data, then 5 min data then 15 min data etc ........ you create levels of data that allow for consistency.

Thus you are likely to avoid "missing data" errors when dates overlap. (Obviously 5min data spans back further than 1 min data and so "missing" errors are inevitable)

I think this is the same as running "period converter" using a methodical approach, and the backtester may be better and less prone to error.

If it is possible to automate - it would save time preparing MT4 for backtesting.

One approach would be to build HST files outside MT4, and the other approach would be to automate backtesting.

Are there any clever options?

I guess the "period converter"script will be the best way. i.e. automate open chart, attach script

The idea is - once prepared - you can go to backtest a 15 min chart and have confidence that the 5min and 1 min data beneath - is being used properly/accurately.

mrmedia:

There are more ways to do things now. e.g. charts.mqh

The idea is - once prepared - you can go to backtest a 15 min chart and have confidence that the 5min and 1 min data beneath - is being used properly/accurately.

I don't understand why you think there is a problem that needs fixing . . . the .fxt file will be created using M1 data if you have it for the entire date range . . . regardless of what timeframe you test under, so the .fxt will be the same.
Reason: