Does mt4 use multiple cores?

I have been running this on two different computers -a laptop with i7 processor and an 8 core AMD desktop - but neither uses all the processing power to run. For example, the AMD box only ever reaches 13% utilisation on the processors.

Is this normal? I have unmarked all the processor cores via the registry so all are available.

Many thanks in advance.

Dtfrancis15:
I have been running this on two different computers -a laptop with i7 processor and an 8 core AMD desktop - but neither uses all the processing power to run. For example, the AMD box only ever reaches 13% utilisation on the processors.

Is this normal? I have unmarked all the processor cores via the registry so all are available.

Many thanks in advance.

On Task Manager, select processes tab, right click the terminal.exe process, and select "Set Affinity ... ", from there you can see how many core the terminal use. You can also set priority to realtime if you wish.

Better doing this by launching Task Manager with Admin account.

Hope this helps.

Dtfrancis15:

Many thanks in advance.

Running what ?

Backtesting with MT4 only use 1 core.

Sorry - should of said it is an optimisation process in Strategy Tester.

Surely with the availability of multi-core and multi-processors, this power should be being utilised by such an intensive process as it runs the CPU for over 10 days on each of these machines?

Dtfrancis15:

Sorry - should of said it is an optimisation process in Strategy Tester.

Surely with the availability of multi-core and multi-processors, this power should be being utilised by such an intensive process as it runs the CPU for over 10 days on each of these machines?

This is one of the limitation of MT4, it use only 1 core for optimization.

Maybe you can check if MT5 is usable for you, it can run all your cores and even those of other computers.

Reason: