After Angle Formula - page 3

SDC:

Show me the math that proves any of what I said was incorrect. I know the x axis of the chart is not linear but for the purpose of bars/pips slope we are working on a bar to bar basis, the non linear date scale has no bearing on that.

Take a look at this math website, check the show angle box beside the applet and it will display what I have been saying mathematically and graphically.

So an angle where the Opposite is 30 and the Adjacent is 30 is 45 degrees ?

I think you will find that it is actually 18.4 degrees . . .

RaptorUK:

I dont think so. If the op and the adj are equal length on a right angled triangle the hyp is a 45 degrees line.

slope angle

SDC:

I dont think so. If the op and the adj are equal length on a right angled triangle the hyp is a 45 degrees line.

Your drawing is wrong, the Opposite is 30 feet and the Adjacent is 30 yards . . . they are both 30 though.

RaptorUK:
Your drawing is wrong, the Opposite is 30 feet and the Adjacent is 30 yards . . . they are both 30 though.

The X-axis is actually in minutes that a snail runs the distance.

Ovo:

The X-axis is actually in minutes that a snail runs the distance.
Ah I see, bit like a light year but a snail minute instead . . .

Ovo: The X-axis is actually in minutes that a snail runs the distance.
You can only take the arctan of a pure number. m=dY/dX has units. What is the angle of going 20 mph - meaningless.

RaptorUK:

No my drawing is correct, the x axis is in feet the y axis is in yards I am using yards to feet 1:1 ;)

SDC:
No my drawing is correct, the x axis is in feet the y axis is in yards I am using yards to feet 1:1 ;)
So it's not to scale so is visually incorrect, the angle should be 18.4 degrees. When you state an angle the only information is the angle itself, there is no other information, so it MUST be assumed that the units of the two sides that make the angle are the same . . . a gradient or slope can be stated as x unit a in y unit b, for example x points in y minutes

I do not agree that you must assume anything about the units. Once they are applied to a graph they cease to be real world actual objects. They are now mathematical values derived from real world objects. This means they can now be worked with purely mathematically regardless of how the original objects might have looked to human eyes.

OP asked if you can project a 45 degree angle on a 1:1 mt4 chart 20 bars into the future to calculate the rise in pips, and is there a math formula to do this, the answer is yes you can and yes there is, and in fact you can do the same with any angle as long as you define the scale. (before, not after the fact). The math proves it and the math applet proves it.

SDC:

I do not agree that you must assume anything about the units. Once they are applied to a graph they cease to be real world actual objects. They are now mathematical values derived from real world objects. This means they can now be worked with purely mathematically regardless of how the original objects might have looked to human eyes.

RaptorUK:

SDC:

You don't agree that an assumption must be made ? yet you made the assumption that the units I was talking about for the Opposite and Adjacent were the same . . . hence your answer of 45 deg. An angle of 45 deg has an absolute meaning, it is 1/8th of a full circle . . . no more information is needed to define it . . . this does not hold true for an "angle" on a chart, other information is needed to define the "angle" this makes it no longer what it was meant to be.

So you have to say, "45 deg - where the scale is fixed to 1:1 and x minutes/bars is considered the same as y points" this qualification means you do not have an angle, a true angle needs no such qualification, it is absolute. So why not say what you mean . . . don't twist what is actually a gradient/slope into a false visual representation of an angle . . .
Reason: