Moving Average Look Back, instructions are not clear.

Hello, can anyone explain the difference between the ma_shift and the shift parameters? I assume the last parameter is the look back bars period based on the vague instructions explanation. I'd like to know what they both are for, in greater detail.

Thanks

moneycode:

Hello, can anyone explain the difference between the ma_shift and the shift parameters? I assume the last parameter is the look back bars period based on the vague instructions explanation. I'd like to know what they both are for, in greater detail.

Asked before, answered before, instead of waiting for someone to find it for you it will be much quicker if you learn to find it yourself . . .

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/145343

The moving shift shifts the MA, ie if set to 0, the MA will appear as normal. If set to 1, the whole MA is shifted 1 to the left, so the last (current) bar will not have an MA value. The value for bar0 will now have moved to bar1 and bar1's value will have moved to bar2 etc.

I hope that makes sense. If you attach an MA to your chart, it is the shift in the parameter window.

The last parameter is the bar shift that you want the MA value for, so 0 will give the MA value for the current bar.

Perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. You should write the instruction manual.

There were several threads on the subject, some not answered and some not clearly answered and some like the one Raptor posted (which I missed) covers it well. Many times when I do searches in the mql4 search box I get nothing, and it actually comes back blank, and so now I usually go straight to a google search with mql4 in the search criteria. I always get get MQL4 threads that way. Sometimes people may search and read through some threads and read the instructions (which rarely clear things up for me) and still not be able to find the answer in a reasonable amount of time, at which point it makes more sense to post a thread in the forum imo. Though I must admit, the fact that a person needs to ask a question is also a good sign that they need to invest more time into learning.

moneycode:

Perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. You should write the instruction manual.

There were several threads on the subject, some not answered and some not clearly answered and some like the one Raptor posted (which I missed) covers it well. Many times when I do searches in the mql4 search box I get nothing, and it actually comes back blank, and so now I usually go straight to a google search with mql4 in the search criteria. I always get get MQL4 threads that way. Sometimes people may search and read through some threads and read the instructions (which rarely clear things up for me) and still not be able to find the answer in a reasonable amount of time, at which point it makes more sense to post a thread in the forum imo. Though I must admit, the fact that a person needs to ask a question is also a good sign that they need to invest more time into learning.

You can use google to search on mql4.com, as it's right that the search engine of this site is far from perfect. With google, simply add "site:mql4.com" to your keyword(s) (without " ").
Reason: