MT4 basic memory usage

Hello,

Does anybody know how different installations (coming from different brokers) of the MT4 terminal can use different amounts of RAM while running?

Example:

I download and install 2 terminals. One from BrokerA and one from brokerB. I register accounts, limit the amount of bars on chart and in history to only 5, keep only EURUSD in the market watch and then start the terminals. Same versions of MT4 too, by the way.

Then I see that one terminal uses 20MB RAM and the other 30MB RAM. How can this be? I want to run multiple terminals on my VPS and am short of RAM. If I could restrict the RAM usage of all terminals to the lowest amount possible it would help me, loads.

Thanks!

ForexAlpha:

Hello,

Does anybody know how different installations (coming from different brokers) of the MT4 terminal can use different amounts of RAM while running?

Example:

I download and install 2 terminals. One from BrokerA and one from brokerB. I register accounts, limit the amount of bars on chart and in history to only 5, keep only EURUSD in the market watch and then start the terminals. Same versions of MT4 too, by the way.

Then I see that one terminal uses 20MB RAM and the other 30MB RAM. How can this be? I want to run multiple terminals on my VPS and am short of RAM. If I could restrict the RAM usage of all terminals to the lowest amount possible it would help me, loads.

Thanks!

Brokers can customize their setup, maybe it's the origin of your difference.

angevoyageur:
Brokers can customize their setup, maybe it's the origin of your difference.

That would explain it, I guess. Do you have any idea in what files the differences are? Then I'll try to use the relevant files from the least memory consuming terminal in all terminals..

I never download it from a broker, I had all kinds of problems with MT4 freezing up or crashing when I used the brokers "customized" version. Since then I always download it clean from MQ and then enter my broker account details I never had a problem since.

Reason: