file write

hi can some body tell me why my file writing code override the existing values?

int handle;
   handle=FileOpen("daily.csv", FILE_CSV|FILE_WRITE, ';');
   if(handle<1)
   {
    Comment("File data1.csv not found, the last error is ", GetLastError());
     return(false);
    }
  else
    {
     FileWrite(handle,"curopendaily",Open[0]);FileWrite(handle,"previousdailyopen",Close[1]);FileWrite(handle,"curweeklyopen",High[7]);
     FileWrite(handle,"previousweeklyopen",High[3]);FileWrite(handle,"curmonthlyopen",Low[1]);FileWrite(handle,"previousmonthlyopen",Time[0]);
    }
    FileClose(handle);

ankitkalindi:

hi can some body tell me why my file writing code override the existing values?

You Open the File, you write to it, then you close it. Then you repeat this . . . read the documentation and then explain what you think your code should be doing . . .

RaptorUK:
You Open the File, you write to it, then you close it. Then you repeat this . . . read the documentation and then explain what you think your code should be doing . . .

int handle;
   handle=FileOpen("cur.csv", FILE_CSV|FILE_WRITE, ';');

if(handle<1)
   {
      return(false);
   }   
  else{
      FileSeek(handle, 0, SEEK_END);
      FileWrite(handle,"curdailyopen",curdailyopen,"previousdailyopen",previousdailymedian,"curweeklyopen",curweeklyopen,"previousweeklymedian",
               previousweeklymedian,"curmonthlyopen",curmonthlyopen,"previousmedian",previousmedian);
      FileClose(handle);

}

sir i have changed the code but yet the problem has not been resolved

1)it override the values

2)the values are coming in the same column

ankitkalindi:

1)it override the values

2)the values are coming in the same column

If you want help please answer my simple question . . .

RaptorUK:
You Open the File, you write to it, then you close it. Then you repeat this . . . read the documentation and then . . . . . explain what you think your code should be doing . . .

mothlymedian,weeklymedian

can you tell me .....

ankitkalindi:
  handle=FileOpen("cur.csv", FILE_CSV|FILE_WRITE, ';');

1)it override the values

Of course. You open the file for writing, any existing data is now gone.

ankitkalindi:

You have only opened to the file for writing (FILE_WRITE). If you check the result of your current call to FileSeek(), I would bet that it is returning false because FileSeek() can't read the file since it has only been opened for writing. You must open the file for both reading (FILE_READ) and writing, so FileSeek() can seek to end-of-file.

handle=FileOpen("cur.csv", FILE_CSV|FILE_READ|FILE_WRITE, ';');

EDIT: Interestingly, FileSeek(handle, 0, SEEK_END) does not return false while the file is opened only for FILE_WRITE, nor does GetLastError() return an error code. If the file is opened only for FILE_WRITE, FileWrite() appears to start at BOF, regardless of FileSeek() to EOF. However, if file is also opened for reading (FILE_READ), FileSeek(handle, 0, SEEK_END) updates pointer to EOF and FileWrite() starts at EOF.

Thirteen:

You have only opened to the file for writing (FILE_WRITE). If you check the result of your current call to FileSeek(), I would bet that it is returning false because FileSeek() can't read the file since it has only been opened for writing. You must open the file for both reading (FILE_READ) and writing, so FileSeek() can seek to end-of-file.

EDIT: Interestingly, FileSeek(handle, 0, SEEK_END) does not return false while the file is opened only for FILE_WRITE, nor does GetLastError() return an error code. If the file is opened only for FILE_WRITE, FileWrite() appears to start at BOF, regardless of FileSeek() to EOF. However, if file is also opened for reading (FILE_READ), FileSeek(handle, 0, SEEK_END) updates pointer to EOF and FileWrite() starts at EOF.

Why do you expect FileSeek(handle, 0, SEEK_END) should return false if file is opened with FILE_WRITE only ?

See documentation, a file open with FILE_WRITE only is emptied, so FileSeek(handle, 0, SEEK_END) works normally but the file pointer is already at end and can not be otherwise.

If FILE_WRITE does not combine with FILE_READ, a zero-length file will be opened. If even the file containd some data, they will be deleted.

You can check that behavior by simply opening and closing a file.

int handle;
  handle=FileOpen("my_data.csv",FILE_CSV|FILE_WRITE,';');
  if(handle<1)
    {
     Print("File my_data.dat not found, the last error is ", GetLastError());
     return(false);
    } 
  FileClose(handle);  

"my_data.csv" file is now empty.

Reason: