2 simple questions but do not know the answers

Hope someone might clarify these 2 quick questions for me:

What is the difference between the Bid price and Close[i] during the current bar?

And also I had a blank chart with a single 20 Period Exponential Applied to Close Moving Average on it.

The chart was an Index Chart (Australian Share Price Index)

Why is it that when I look in the data window at the value associated with the 20EMA it appears as a whole number and not a fraction?

thanks in advance as always?

As to the Bid and Close question, the current bar hasn't closed yet. It doesn't have a Close price. On the MA question - I have no idea.

pullend:

Hope someone might clarify these 2 quick questions for me:

What is the difference between the Bid price and Close[i] during the current bar?

If you mean Close[0] then there is no difference, Bid == Close[0]

pullend:

Why is it that when I look in the data window at the value associated with the 20EMA it appears as a whole number and not a fraction?

Why do you think that 5403.0000 is the incorrect value ? what do you think is the correct value ?

RaptorUK:

If you mean Close[0] then there is no difference, Bid == Close[0]

Unfortunately there is often a difference lately, with many brokers. The good news is that the difference does not change with time.

Ovo:

Unfortunately there is often a difference lately, with many brokers. The good news is that the difference does not change with time.
In my opinion . . . you shouldn't use Brokers like that. How can Bid != Close[0] ?

RaptorUK:
In my opinion . . . you shouldn't use Brokers like that. How can Bid != Close[0] ?

Yes thanks! I was talking about Close[0] and I too thought they were the same. Close[0] && Bid

It's just that I substituted the two pieces of code to test a theory and they responded differently (one lagged the other) which confused me.

I started wondering whether there was a distinction between the spread and actual completed transactions at the quoted prices, and consequently how this might impact on closing positions.

I will ask my broker and report back if I obtain anything sensible.

With respect to the Moving Average question, it is just that as I ran the cursor across previous bars and saw all the moving average values were whole numbers, my brain was thinking that simple maths should not allow that.

Thanks to you both

pullend:

Yes thanks! I was talking about Close[0] and I too thought they were the same. Close[0] && Bid

It's just that I substituted the two pieces of code to test a theory and they responded differently (one lagged the other) which confused me.

I started wondering whether there was a distinction between the spread and actual completed transactions at the quoted prices, and consequently how this might impact on closing positions.

I will ask my broker and report back if I obtain anything sensible.

With respect to the Moving Average question, it is just that as I ran the cursor across previous bars and saw all the moving average values were whole numbers, my brain was thinking that simple maths should not allow that.

Thanks to you both

What is the MA(9) of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 ? if your prices are whole numbers it's very possible to get a MA that is also a whole number, it's also possible to get decimals . . .

RaptorUK:

Easily :) That's how they apply different spreads to particular account types, but with the same feed. I do not think it is broker's cheat, it is much more likely MQs' ill implementation.

Reason: