Alert/print seems to not be executed, in start function - page 2

hansaaa:

I am looking in C:\Program Files\MetaTrader\experts\logs

It shows what I posted above. No entry, since ca. 17:16, ca. 6 hours ago.

I have re-downloaded all the necessary history data.

I run the strategy tester using symbol USDCHF, using Every Tick Model, and use date from 2008 to now, using period H4 and Spread Current.

This should only create one tick every 4 hours, correct?

In tester, click on the journal tab, you should see your prints there. Note: journal tab is often incomplete, log files are complete.

Placing your cursor inside the journal window and right click/open will open a window with the log files

RaptorUK:

No, you will get thousands of ticks for each 4 hour period . . .

Right click on the log entries in the journal and then click open, it will show you the log files . . .

Ah yes, thanks, WHRoeder, I guess this also explains why the log file became so huge, with thousands and thousands of ticks, every one acknowledged by a "hi".

I have to get back into this, I will try, anyway!

Thanks to all!

One additional question: Not sure if I have something confused here, but, what is the point of setting the period in the strategy tester, if it uses M1 data anyway, and creates a tick on every M1 data point then, if I understand correctly?

Or, more accurately, maybe: Does the strategy tester generate exactly one tick per M1 data point, or does one M1 data point contain multiple ticks.

I haven't been able to find anything that explains this to my understanding. I understand that a tick is basically a "signal" meaning "new price", but I am not sure how that converts to time-frames. If anyone has any suggestions for references that have a good explanation for this, for someone who hasn't done this "kind of stuff" in a while, that would be great!

Thanks

hansaaa:

One additional question: Not sure if I have something confused here, but, what is the point of setting the period in the strategy tester, if it uses M1 data anyway, and creates a tick on every M1 data point then, if I understand correctly?

Or, more accurately, maybe: Does the strategy tester generate exactly one tick per M1 data point, or does one M1 data point contain multiple ticks.

I haven't been able to find anything that explains this to my understanding. I understand that a tick is basically a "signal" meaning "new price", but I am not sure how that converts to time-frames. If anyone has any suggestions for references that have a good explanation for this, for someone who hasn't done this "kind of stuff" in a while, that would be great!

Thanks

If you use moving averages or any thing that depends on particular bars, you will need to set the time-frame to suit.

If you trade off of H1 charts, you would have the H1 open wouldn't you, not the M1 :)

hansaaa:

Thanks

A M1 bar will contain multiple ticks . . . usually.

More info on tick generation in the Strategy Tester, mostly covering MT5 but a little info about MT4: https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/75

Reason: