what does "shift" do?

Hello, I wa looking at some EA builders and I can't figure one thing out.

When using a Moving Average, there is a MA Shift cell and a Shift cell. I understand what MA Shift is but not what Shift is. I've seen it in another editor as "Back Shift".

Any ideas?

jc_gucci:

Hello, I wa looking at some EA builders and I can't figure one thing out.

When using a Moving Average, there is a MA Shift cell and a Shift cell. I understand what MA Shift is but not what Shift is. I've seen it in another editor as "Back Shift".

Any ideas?

shift is the bar number for which you want the MA, the currently forming bar is 0, the bar to it's left is 1, then 2, etc

Isn't that the same thing? If you use MA shift 2 the MA will move 2 bars to the right and the current value will be that of two bars to the left before. MA shift 2 and Shift 2 would give you the same MA value.

jc_gucci: MA shift 2 and Shift 2 would give you the same MA value.

No. You have to specify both values

A MA shift X/Shift X are the same for any positive X Same as MA shift 0 bar 0

A MA shift -Y/Shift Y are also the same for any positive Y. Same as MA shift 0 bar 0 MA shift -5/shift 4 is meaningless. would be same as MA shift 0 bar -1 (future)

Always use MA shift 0 (ignore it) and use the regular shift, unless you are placing it on the chart for visual

This image is the SMA(10) white and Gold is ma_shift -5

MA_Shift = -5

WHRoeder:

No. You have to specify both values

A MA shift X/Shift X are the same for any positive X

A MA shift -Y/Shift Y are also the same for any positive Y. MA shift -5/shift 4 is meaningless. would be same as MA shift 0 bar -1 (future)

Always use MA shift 0 and use the regular shift, unless you are placing it on the chart

Thanks a lot.
Reason: