Spread Check - using a switch

Hi

I would like to add a Max Spread check function, and have the various ccypairs already set with the tolerance, so that I can just drop the EA on whatever pair and not worry about remembering to set it.

I tried to create a switch that would return either true or false that i can then just use in my order placement criteria, but I am not sure that I have done this correctly as MaxSpread keeps coming back as false.

In the example below AUDUSD is currently 16, which is less than 30 so I expected it to return true.

What did I do wrong? Or is there a better way to do this?

thanks

Simon 

bool MaxSpread;  

//Spread Check - to make sure the spread has not widened to far.
int CcyPair = 0;
if (Symbol() =="AUDUSD") CcyPair = 1;
if (Symbol() =="GBPUSD") CcyPair = 2;
if (Symbol() =="EURUSD") CcyPair = 3;
if (Symbol() =="USDCAD") CcyPair = 4;

switch (MaxSpread)
{
case 1: MaxSpread = MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_SPREAD) < 30; break;
case 2: MaxSpread = MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_SPREAD)< 50; break;

}

simoncs:

Hi

I would like to add a Max Spread check function, and have the various ccypairs already set with the tolerance, so that I can just drop the EA on whatever pair and not worry about remembering to set it.

I tried to create a switch that would return either true or false that i can then just use in my order placement criteria, but I am not sure that I have done this correctly as MaxSpread keeps coming back as false.

In the example below AUDUSD is currently 16, which is less than 30 so I expected it to return true.

switch(bool)  ??

switch (CcyPair)

bool converts to an int
bool MaxSpread;                                                    <-- defaults to zero/false

// irrevalent //Spread Check - to make sure the spread has not widened to far.
// irrevalent int CcyPair = 0;
// irrevalent if (Symbol() =="AUDUSD") CcyPair = 1;
// irrevalent if (Symbol() =="GBPUSD") CcyPair = 2;
// irrevalent if (Symbol() =="EURUSD") CcyPair = 3;
// irrevalent if (Symbol() =="USDCAD") CcyPair = 4;

switch (MaxSpread)                                                 <-- switch(0) no case matches switch exits
{
// irrevalent case 1: MaxSpread = MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_SPREAD) < 30; break;
// irrevalent case 2: MaxSpread = MarketInfo(Symbol(),MODE_SPREAD)< 50; break;
}

simoncs:

Hi

thanks

Simon 

extern   double MaxSpreadPips           = 4.5; 

double SymSpread;

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
int start()
//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   {
   if(Digits==3){SymSpread=(Ask-Bid)*100;}
   if(Digits==5){SymSpread=(Ask-Bid)*10000;}
   }
int OpenOrders(int Direction) //
   {
   if(SymSpread>MaxSpreadPips){Print("MaxSpreadPips Triggered"); return(0);}
   }

This is just one currency, do you mean to monitor multiple currencies from one chart? like EURUSD?

Subgenius:

This is just one currency, do you mean to monitor multiple currencies from one chart? like EURUSD?

Thanks - that's pretty much what I was going to do originally. But then I thought I could have a list of currencies and the max spreads for each, that would be checked. that way I wouldn't need to amend the etern variable each time. I am now thinking the external check is probably the most sensible, but I still want to work out how to do the  switch method, just to increase my coding skills.

simoncs:

Thanks - that's pretty much what I was going to do originally. But then I thought I could have a list of currencies and the max spreads for each, that would be checked. that way I wouldn't need to amend the etern variable each time. I am now thinking the external check is probably the most sensible, but I still want to work out how to do the  switch method, just to increase my coding skills.
Read all the posts not just the last one . . .

simoncs:

Your currency switch may be useful to use the right MaxSpread depending on the Symbol?

RaptorUK:
Read all the posts not just the last one . . .

thanks - I will come back to this - just need to fix another issue first so that I can start running some tests.
Reason: