Several questions on strategy tester.

Dear All, 
  I am a newbie in using the strategy tester. When I started to use it, I dont know how to make the setting correctly. My questions are:
1. how to ascertain that the data over the specified period is reliable?
2. Is there any relationship between the From date, to date and the Max bars in history, Max bars in chart(specified in the tools->options->charts)? And how they are related?
3. what is the funciont of the "| |" button pointed by the blue line 2 in the picture?
4. what is the funciont of the "skip to" button pointed by the blue line 3 in the picture?
5. After running the strategy tester for several minutes, the fan of the notepad will let out bodeful noise. If I persist to let it run, the computer will shut off abruptly. How should I tackle this issue?
I couldnot find instructive guidelines, So I came here for your help. I hope i can tackle the above problems soon with your help. Many thanks a lot for your timely reply.

tzm:
Dear All, 
  I am a newbie in using the strategy tester. When I started to use it, I dont know how to make the setting correctly. My questions are:
1. how to ascertain that the data over the specified period is reliable?
2. Is there any relationship between the From date, to date and the Max bars in history, Max bars in chart(specified in the tools->options->charts)? And how they are related?
3. what is the funciont of the "| |" button pointed by the blue line 2 in the picture?
4. what is the funciont of the "skip to" button pointed by the blue line 3 in the picture?
5. After running the strategy tester for several minutes, the fan of the notepad will let out bodeful noise. If I persist to let it run, the computer will shut off abruptly. How should I tackle this issue?
I couldnot find instructive guidelines, So I came here for your help. I hope i can tackle the above problems soon with your help. Many thanks a lot for your timely reply.

1.  define what you mean by "reliable" ?  there are many sources of data,  if you are not happy with the data you have get other data.

2.   you should make the max bars in History a large number if you want to test a period of many years.

3.  ||  is pause  >  is play

4.  if you are using Visual mode you can skip to a later date using non-visual mode for speed,  this is what Skip does.

5.  fix your PC,  how old is it ?  when was the last time you cleaned it inside ?  cleaned all the dust out of the CPU heatsink and fan ?  is it overclocked ?  when the Strategy tester runs at maaxx speed it will use 100% of a core,  if you have 1 core it will use 100% of your CPU and your CPU will get hot so your cooling needs to work properly.

RaptorUK:

1.  define what you mean by "reliable" ?  there are many sources of data,  if you are not happy with the data you have get other data.

2.   you should make the max bars in History a large number if you want to test a period of many years.

3.  ||  is pause  >  is play

4.  if you are using Visual mode you can skip to a later date using non-visual mode for speed,  this is what Skip does.

5.  fix your PC,  how old is it ?  when was the last time you cleaned it inside ?  cleaned all the dust out of the CPU heatsink and fan ?  is it overclocked ?  when the Strategy tester runs at maaxx speed it will use 100% of a core,  if you have 1 core it will use 100% of your CPU and your CPU will get hot so your cooling needs to work properly.

Dear  RaptorUK,
  Thank you for your prompt and concise reply. MY Acer notepad has been in service for more than 5 years and it has never been maintained. I guess it is time to clean the CPU dusts.... I borrowed the word"reliable" from an internet article(It's title is: "MetaTrader 4 Backtesting & Optimization "). It requires the data to be reliable before backtest is performed. To me, it means the data without any holes or gaps. In one word, it will make the backtest result correct. ...

tzm:

Dear  RaptorUK,
  Thank you for your prompt and concise reply. MY Acer notepad has been in service for more than 5 years and it has never been maintained. I guess it is time to clean the CPU dusts....
5 years means it's ready for retirement.
Reason: