Newbie stuck on detecting current chart symbol using IF

Hi, I'm stuck trying to display a particular value according to the currnt chart's symbol using Comment. Basically if I load this indicator up in GBPUSD, it would display the 1 value at the top left, if I had EURUSD chart open, it would display 2, etc.

It's not the most efficient code but here is what I have so far. Should I just start over again? If so, any hints as to which keyword I should be investigating?

int start()
  {
   int    counted_bars=IndicatorCounted();

double GU=1;
double EU=2;
double AU=3;

string CurrentSymbol=Symbol();

if(CurrentSymbol="GBPUSD") {Comment("Your current symbol is ",Symbol()," and its assigned floating point value is ",DoubleToStr(GU,0));}
if(CurrentSymbol="EURUSD") {Comment("Your current symbol is ",Symbol()," and its assigned floating point value is ",DoubleToStr(EU,0));}
if(CurrentSymbol="AUDUSD") {Comment("Your current symbol is ",Symbol()," and its assigned floating point value is ",DoubleToStr(AU,0));}

return(0);
  }

eempc:

Hi, I'm stuck trying to display a particular value according to the currnt chart's symbol using Comment. Basically if I load this indicator up in GBPUSD, it would display the 1 value at the top left, if I had EURUSD chart open, it would display 2, etc.

It's not the most efficient code but here is what I have so far. Should I just start over again? If so, any hints as to which keyword I should be investigating?

Looks OK to me,  what isn't working ?  perhaps you have your symbol names wrong,  some Brokers use additional characters,  for example GBPUSDi

Many errors occur during compiling, mostly with this part.

if(CurrentSymbol="GBPUSD")

'=' - illegal assignment used    C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader - SVSFX Demo\experts\indicators\SymbolDetection.mq4 (42, 17)
'GBPUSD' - unexpected token    C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader - SVSFX Demo\experts\indicators\SymbolDetection.mq4 (42, 18)
')' - assignment expected    C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader - SVSFX Demo\experts\indicators\SymbolDetection.mq4 (42, 25)

Not sure how to interpret these errors yet.

I also tried without the " " around GBPUSD, etc. as below:

double GU=1;
double EU=2;
double AU=3;

string CurrentSymbol=Symbol();

if(CurrentSymbol=GBPUSD) {Comment("Your current symbol is ",Symbol()," and its assigned floating point value is ",DoubleToStr(GU,0));}
if(CurrentSymbol=EURUSD) {Comment("Your current symbol is ",Symbol()," and its assigned floating point value is ",DoubleToStr(EU,0));}
if(CurrentSymbol=AUDUSD) {Comment("Your current symbol is ",Symbol()," and its assigned floating point value is ",DoubleToStr(AU,0));}

I get the following errors:

'GBPUSD' - variable not defined    C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader - SVSFX Demo\experts\indicators\SymbolDetection.mq4 (42, 18)
'EURUSD' - variable not defined    C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader - SVSFX Demo\experts\indicators\SymbolDetection.mq4 (43, 18)
'AUDUSD' - variable not defined    C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader - SVSFX Demo\experts\indicators\SymbolDetection.mq4 (44, 18)

lol, i just figured it out, i need two == signs. It's pretty cool that you told me my code was pretty much on the right track in the first place so thank you :)

eempc:
lol, i just figured it out, i need two == signs. It's pretty cool that you told me my code was pretty much on the right track in the first place so thank you :)
You could have mentioned that it didn't even compile   . . .  doh !  ;-) 

Yes. Morover.

Constant GBPUSD must be declared prior to its first use:

#define  GBPUSD "GBPUSD" 

You do not need to  cast an integer to a string using DoubleToStr(int,0), it is its default. Using the double makes it complicated.

RaptorUK:
You could have mentioned that it didn't even compile   . . .  doh !  ;-) 

I'll remember that the next time, hehe.

Back to coding, hopefully I won't have any trouble for a few more days.

Ovo:

Yes. Morover.

Constant GBPUSD must be declared prior to its first use:

#define  GBPUSD "GBPUSD" 

You do not need to  cast an integer to a string using DoubleToStr(int,0), it is its default. Using the double makes it complicated.

I'll bear #define in mind because it looks like it could be useful in future. I use double because there are going to be more calculations to determine a final value (i.e. a lot size tailored for each pair) prior to it being displayed as a Comment. So far double is the only way I know - I'm sure there are other ways to do the same thing and I will probably find them in future as I learn more. Cheers.

eempc: Hi, I'm stuck trying to display a particular value according to the currnt chart's symbol us
#define GU 1
#define EU 2
#define AU 3
double pairs.values[] = {GU,        EU,       AU     };
string pairs.names[]  = {"GPBUSD", "EURUSD", "AUDUSD"};
for(int iPair=ArraySize(values)-1, iPair >= 0; iPair--)  if(
   pairs.names[iPair] == Symbol()){
   Comment(
   "Your current symbol is ", Symbol(),
   " and its assigned value is ", pairs.values[iPair]);
}
if(iPair < 0) Comment(Symbol()," is not supported");