Open Close price in a bar - actual traded prices, or just asks?

Hi guys,

The Open, Close arrays defined here:

https://docs.mql4.com/predefined/variables/open

Are they actual prices trades were completed at, or simply the best ask for that bar at open and close?

Cheers, Paul. 

Mt4 Historical Prices are Bid. As-such Open[1]=Bid@Time of Open.  Close[1]=Bid@Time of Close. High[1]=Highest Bid Seen On Previous Bar.  Low[1]=Lowest Bid Seen On Previous Bar. BarZero{Bar[0]} Information is still forming because its current bar. Ask is Current Ask, no such thing as Historical Ask. Bid is Current Bid, no such thing is Historical Bid. By Historical I mean there's no Bid or Ask Array-Series. Within the Strategy-Tester the Ask=Bid+Spread.

monsterer:

Hi guys,

The Open, Close arrays defined here:

https://docs.mql4.com/predefined/variables/open

Are they actual prices trades were completed at, or simply the best ask for that bar at open and close?  

Neither . . .  it is the Bid price when the bar opened/started . . .  close is the same as Bid for bar 0, for all other bars it is the last Bid price that occurred during the bar.

Ok, that's interesting...

So is there any way to get the actual prices which were traded at?

actual traded prices, or just asks?

MT4 charts are Bid charts. Actual traded Bid price.

monsterer:

Ok, that's interesting...

So is there any way to get the actual prices which were traded at?

You want to see other traders trades ?  no there isn't . . .  there is no central market for Forex and there are hundreds of Brokers . . . and many thousands of trades on each instrument.

How do you determine what the true exchange rate value is, then? Because I could submit a dummy bid in the USDGBP for 0.1, which would totally mess up all the bars wouldn't it?

monsterer:
How do you determine what the true exchange rate value is, then? Because I could submit a dummy bid in the USDGBP for 0.1, which would totally mess up all the bars wouldn't it?
And how do you plan on submitting that dummy bid?

monsterer:

Bid - The latest known buyer's price (offer price, bid price) of the current symbol. The RefreshRates() function must be used to update.

Ask -  The latest known seller's price (ask price) for the current symbol. The RefreshRates() function must be used to update.

But you can read this for yourself in the Documentation 

If you have other mql4 related questions or issue or points please proceed. If you have non-mql4 related question then try here:  Baby Pips

monsterer:
Place the Buy Limit at 0.1. Nothing will happen until there is someone willing to sell at 0.1+spread.

Aren't Bid and Ask just the prices the buyer and seller want to pay, though, rather than what they actually end up paying?

So if I submitted a dummy bid of 0.1 USD to buy £1M GBPs and the exchange rate is purely calculated from the bids and asks, would this dummy bid drastically alter the exchange rate?

I could understand if Open and Close were *executed* bids, as this would get around the problem.

Reason: