MT4 not responding!

Hi all, I was just testing an indicator and the end result was that my MT4 program stopped responding and wont let me restart.

Would someone mind advising me how I can go int the program files and delete the last work I entered on my chart which I presume is causing the platform to hang?

I tried temporarily deleting all profiles and templates, but no success in restarting Mt4 on my PC

thanks in advance

Create a empty indicator example with just [ int start(){} ]. Give it the filename of the one that hangs. Move the hanging indicator out of the indicator folder and replace it with this empty indicator. That should solve your problem.

If it's not letting you replace/delete files and you're on Windows7 or Windows Vista then you're probably having a UAC issue. Don't install in C:\Program_Files. Install outside Program_Files. Example C:\New_Folder.

ubzen:
If it's not letting you replace/delete files and you're on Windows7 or Windows Vista then you're probably having a UAC issue. Don't install in C:\Program_Files. Install outside Program_Files. Example C:\New_Folder.

thanks your solution worked nicely and will reinstall on my Windows 7 machine, outside of Program Files as you suggest

much appreciated!!

ubzen:

Create a empty indicator example with just [ int start(){} ]. Give it the filename of the one that hangs. Move the hanging indicator out of the indicator folder and replace it with this empty indicator. That should solve your problem.

Or just delete the indicator.EX4 and restart the terminal. (It can't load what it can't find. :)

ubzen:

So does it mean that in the future, all MT4 instances should be installed outside of Program Files? Is there a way to address the issue better? I'm currently having problems thanks to a stupid indicator that I was testing. The MT4 just hangs. Repeated uninstall/install doesn't solve the problem. Doing an installation outside of Program files is only a work around I presume without addressing the issue.

jb1981:

So does it mean that in the future, all MT4 instances should be installed outside of Program Files? 
YES !

Ok. And by installing it outside the Program files, does it mean that any future issues of the MT4 freezing is default or would it mean jumping from one folder to another?

jb1981:
Ok. And by installing it outside the Program files, does it mean that any future issues of the MT4 freezing is default or would it mean jumping from one folder to another?
It would mean you would no longer have UAC issues,  freezing because you have an indicator on a chart with an infinite loop is another issue which can easily be fixed,  see posts above.
Reason: