MT5 hijacks MT4 include files?

I had some spare time today after I was talking to a friend who has been toying around with MetaTrader 5, so I decided to download a copy of MT5 from this site and see what he was talking about. Later I went back into MetaTrader 4 to finish up some editing to an EA I had been working on, after 1 minor change it would not compile. MetaEditor kept complaining about not being able to read the include file. After some head scratching I discovered that ALL the include files on that computer had been renamed to some type called "MQL5 Header File". They still had the .mqh extension but MT4 refused to acknowledge them even though you could open them fine with the MT4 Editor.

Try as I might I could not convince those files to come back and work with MT4, I finally had to uninstall MetaTrader 5 to get the files to "open with" the right program.

On the off chance that that was some kind of fluke, I tested it out again on a clean computer with only a new install of Win7 Pro SP1 and a clean install of MT4. Sure enough soon as i installed MT5 all the include files got hijacked again.

Wow. Lol.

bdeyes:

I had some spare time today after I was talking to a friend who has been toying around with MetaTrader 5, so I decided to download a copy of MT5 from this site and see what he was talking about. Later I went back into MetaTrader 4 to finish up some editing to an EA I had been working on, after 1 minor change it would not compile. MetaEditor kept complaining about not being able to read the include file. After some head scratching I discovered that ALL the include files on that computer had been renamed to some type called "MQL5 Header File". They still had the .mqh extension but MT4 refused to acknowledge them even though you could open them fine with the MT4 Editor.

Try as I might I could not convince those files to come back and work with MT4, I finally had to uninstall MetaTrader 5 to get the files to "open with" the right program.

On the off chance that that was some kind of fluke, I tested it out again on a clean computer with only a new install of Win7 Pro SP1 and a clean install of MT4. Sure enough soon as i installed MT5 all the include files got hijacked again.

Hi bdeyes,

I'm not supposed to answer this coz I have a Vista and I have different problem and no solution at all. Not a long time ago I had the opposite problem, I couldn't compile MT5 include files. I was messing .mqh file and I associated it with MetaEditor 4. I tried to re-associated it with other programs such as notepad, but the problem persisted. Since I planed to re-install my Vista, that's seem the only solution to my problem. Now, my .mqh is not associate with any program, as well as my .ex4 and .ex5.

Anyway,

1. Try to install MT5 first then MT4. In your case, maybe re-install another MT4 solves the MetaEditor 4 problem but question is : Is there any problem with MetaEditor 5 ?

2. From my experience above, it seems that, by not associating .mqh with anything solve my problem. However, how on earth we supposed to not associate an extension that already associated with a program ?.

3. Write your case on Service desk and also on MQL5.com forum - seriously.

:D

onewithzachy:

However, how on earth we supposed to not associate an extension that already associated with a program ?.

You could try this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5171991_remove-file-association.html

Hi RaptorUK,

1. I've been searching for that the whole day with no avail - guess Google hate my Engrish :)

2. Type ASSOC /? for help from command prompt. To test it, I associate .ex4 with notepad, and run "ASSOC .ex4= " (without " ") as an admin, it does not works - notepad still open it :( . Maybe after restart my computer ?. I clicked another link on ehow.com and found how to delete file association registry in 7. Tried it and a success, but my .ex4 is still have notepad icon - lol.

3. Late Note : I just test this. I associate .mqh with notepad and everything runs okay. Of course I'm on Vista and I changed MT folder security permission when I installed MTs in Program Files.

:D

Reason: