Can broker download(steal) my expert adviser?

Hi, simple question.

If I program an expert adviser, back test it, etc. and it proves profitable, can my broker steal my expert adviser? Reverse engineer it?

Is this something they're legally allowed to do through meta-trader license/ownership agreement? I guess it doesn't really matter whether they're "allowed". I'd be more concerned with whether they could physically do it.

Am I better off testing trivial ideas on mt4 platform and wait until I have enough money to get dedicated FIX/api access to really let the dogs run?

Thanks in advance.

fxing:

Hi, simple question.

If I program an expert adviser, back test it, etc. and it proves profitable, can my broker steal my expert adviser? Reverse engineer it?

Is this something they're legally allowed to do through meta-trader license/ownership agreement? I guess it doesn't really matter whether they're "allowed". I'd be more concerned with whether they could physically do it.

Am I better off testing trivial ideas on mt4 platform and wait until I have enough money to get dedicated FIX/api access to really let the dogs run?

Thanks in advance.

Dear fxing,

Steal from where ?, Directly from your PC where MetaTrader is installed inside your PC ? the answer is no, that would be illegal. Any attempt to breach your PC by anyone is illegal. However there's several broker which offer free VPS, there's a risk that anyone could steal your EA from VPS (Security issue when using VPS to trade)

:D

onewithzachy:

Dear fxing,

Steal from where ?, Directly from your PC where MetaTrader is installed inside your PC ? the answer is no, that would be illegal. Any attempt to breach your PC by anyone is illegal. However there's several broker which offer free VPS, there's a risk that anyone could steal your EA from VPS (Security issue when using VPS to trade)

MetaTrader may be inside your PC but orders are executed via network and at your broker's back-end.

Since you're taking prices from broker, in theory they have the right to control how you trade and making sure you're not abusing.

I haven't read mt4 license on demo, but wouldn't be surprised if they can download whatever mt4 binaries u have compiled or at least running in your session.

I'm still not convinced I can trust my ideas in mt4 eas...

fxing:

MetaTrader may be inside your PC but orders are executed via network and at your broker's back-end.

Since you're taking prices from broker, in theory they have the right to control how you trade and making sure you're not abusing.

I haven't read mt4 license on demo, but wouldn't be surprised if they can download whatever mt4 binaries u have compiled or at least running in your session.

I'm still not convinced I can trust my ideas in mt4 eas...

Oh dear

All order must be executed via secured network and at broker back end. All trading platform with electronic trading, (CQG, TradeStation, Currenex, Ninja Trader), do the same.

Unless your broker is not regulated, you have to prove that theory that brokers control traders, no broker allowed to control it's customer.

If you don't believe or worry or even afraid, create your EA in dll or even executable one, or else, don't create EA and don't trade, and don't use other trading platform coz they do the same.

You can monitor all network traffic using some traffic monitor software like NetLimiter, or google for more sophisticated one (and expensive) than NetLimiter.

Reason: