debugging

I'm new to mq5
To debug I went metaeditor>tools>options>debug>    EURUSD  60MIN
Then i can "start debugging" the "MACD Sample" and it steps through to end of init().
But it is the weekend and there are no ticks so the chart sits there with the EA in debug mode.

I want to go to strategy backtester and debug that way.
Shouldn't I be allowed to start a strategy - a visual test - (or even non visual test) and attach to that process?

How do you do that?

If this live feed is the only way - how can you step through your code before the next tick - surely you need to debug strategy backtester only?

( or i suppose you get to test current market and stored ticks from init onwards - but you are precluded from testing a price pattern you want to target)

This separate strategy window is different to MT4 single window.

MT5 does not allow you to click on a balance graph and go to a trade and click to go to the chart.

Isn't that a step backwards?

mrmedia:
I'm new to mq5
To debug I went metaeditor>tools>options>debug>    EURUSD  60MIN
Then i can "start debugging" the "MACD Sample" and it steps through to end of init().
But it is the weekend and there are no ticks so the chart sits there with the EA in debug mode.

I want to go to strategy backtester and debug that way.
Shouldn't I be allowed to start a strategy - a visual test - (or even non visual test) and attach to that process?

How do you do that?

If this live feed is the only way - how can you step through your code before the next tick - surely you need to debug strategy backtester only?

( or i suppose you get to test current market and stored ticks from init onwards - but you are precluded from testing a price pattern you want to target)

You can't debug with the Strategy Tester. If you can't wait the opening of the market, one workaround is the use of OnTimer event handler instead of OnTick.

This separate strategy window is different to MT4 single window.

MT5 does not allow you to click on a balance graph and go to a trade and click to go to the chart.

Isn't that a step backwards?
I don't understand the problem here, can you be more explicit ?

angevoyageur:
You can't debug with the Strategy Tester. If you can't wait the opening of the market, one workaround is the use of OnTimer event handler instead of OnTick.
I don't understand the problem here, can you be more explicit ?

i guess this is part of the merge process.   Separate out code in MT5 , create compiler for MT4+MT5, come back and finalise MT5.

mrmedia:

i guess this is part of the merge process.   Separate out code in MT5 , create compiler for MT4+MT5, come back and finalise MT5.

?