ordertype - static variable - what kind of variable?

Hello forum,

I am looking into creating this static variable containing the type of last order just closed (returning OP_BUY, OP_SELL, etc), I am calling it, say, LastOrderTYPE - for further use as a condition for next opening.

market is closed for "trial and error", so I am kindly asking: what variable type should it be?

static int LastOrderType?

static string LastOrderType?

static char LastOrderType?

....?

Thanks for enlightening me! :-)

Dan.

Dannoo007:

Hello forum,

I am looking into creating this static variable containing the type of last order just closed (returning OP_BUY, OP_SELL, etc), I am calling it, say, LastOrderTYPE - for further use as a condition for next opening.

market is closed for "trial and error", so I am kindly asking: what variable type should it be?

static int LastOrderType?

static string LastOrderType?

static char LastOrderType?

....?

Thanks for enlightening me! :-)

Dan.

Well OrderType is of type int

https://docs.mql4.com/trading/ordertype

so use a static int to hold the previous value

Dannoo007:

Hello forum,

You don't need the Market to be open to test code . . . use the Strategy Tester . . .

Dannoo007:
I am looking into creating this static variable containing the type of last order just closed (returning OP_BUY, OP_SELL, etc), I am calling it, say, LastOrderTYPE
Why static? EA's must be able to recover from terminal restarts. Just get the last closed order Order History sort by closing date - MQL4 forum
int tickets[], nTickets = GetHistoryOrderByCloseTime(tickets);
if (nTickets == 0){
   :
}
else if (!OrderSelect(tickets[0], SELECT_BY_TICKET)){
   Alert("OrderSelect(",tickets[0],") failed: ", GetLastError());
   :
}
else{
   int LastOrderTYPE = OrderType();
   :
}

Thanks all, working on it !!! Fair enough WHRoeder, that should work as well, I will look into it .

dabbler:

Well OrderType is of type int

Hello again! I'm almost there, via static variables (my original plan)..

One thing: it looks like in terms of integers, OP_BUY returns 0 and OP_SELL returns 1 ? Correct?

I need to work this out as "no order" will also return 0, so I think this is confusing the signal..

Thanks again!!

Dan

Dannoo007:

One thing: it looks like in terms of integers, OP_BUY returns 0 and OP_SELL returns 1 ? Correct?

I need to work this out as "no order" will also return 0, so I think this is confusing the signal..

It is considered poor programming practice to rely on the absolute value of a symbolic constant like OP_BUY. Needless to say such poor practices are commonplace on this site :-(

And meta quotes almost encourage it ...

https://docs.mql4.com/constants/trading

You could return -1 as a no trade as that is a common error value in MQL4.

dabbler:

It is considered poor programming practice to rely on the absolute value of a symbolic constant like OP_BUY. Needless to say such poor practices are commonplace on this site :-(

And meta quotes almost encourage it ...

https://docs.mql4.com/constants/trading

You could return -1 as a no trade as that is a common error value in MQL4.

Thanks! True... I will probaly add an extra string type on top of it, taking values "Buy"/"Sell" based on the how OP_BUY/SELL is returned. Whatever works! : )

Reason: