Average Highs n' Lows to determine a Stoploss for Trending or Ranging orders?

Hi does anyone know if it is possible to average the highs and lows of the current market to determine a stop loss for an ea?

The market is trending, ranging, or straight up traveling sideways. I was thinking, why not use an indicator like fractals to determine the average dips (ranges) within the current trend, to determine a stop loss? (This would be for a "trending" market. Of course I am on the same line of thought for a "ranging" market and "sideways" market. I have seen a technical indicator called "Fractal Adaptive Moving Average for MQL5. I was curious if anyone is on the same train of thought. :)

Thank You!

Hi does anyone know if it is possible to average the highs and lows of the current market to determine a stop loss for an ea? Sure. Do you know how to get the values of the previous Fractals?

I was thinking, why not use an indicator like fractals to determine the average dips (ranges) within the current trend, to determine a stop loss? If you think you're within an up-trend (for example), why are you closing the order on dips?

ubzen:

Hi does anyone know if it is possible to average the highs and lows of the current market to determine a stop loss for an ea? Sure. Do you know how to get the values of the previous Fractals?

I was thinking, why not use an indicator like fractals to determine the average dips (ranges) within the current trend, to determine a stop loss? If you think you're within an up-trend (for example), why are you closing the order on dips?

Thank You for your post!

Question: Sure. Do you know how to get the values of the previous Fractals?

Answer: double val=iFractals(NULL, 0, MODE_UPPER, 3);

Question: If you think you're within an up-trend (for example), why are you closing the order on dips?

Answer: What I am not making clear is this. Once the current trend changes from "up" to "down" or "down" to "up", lets stick with one for the example...

Place a sma of 5 on a EURUSD H1 chart. When the market travels "up" the sma 5 travels below. When the market travels "down" the sma 5 travels above.

With that said, Imagine replacing the sma 5 with the indicator Fractals Adaptive Moving Average. Also, change the period from 5 to lets say 14. I explained the

above in order for you to visualize the situation. Now, to answer your question, "why are you closing the order on dips?" I am not closing an order, I am opening

an order. The strategy would be similar to MovingAverage EA that comes with MT4 terminal. I hope all is clear.

Thank You!

WhooDoo22:

Thank You for your post!

Question: Sure. Do you know how to get the values of the previous Fractals?

Answer: double val=iFractals(NULL, 0, MODE_UPPER, 3);

Question: If you think you're within an up-trend (for example), why are you closing the order on dips?

Answer: What I am not making clear is this. Once the current trend changes from "up" to "down" or "down" to "up", lets stick with one for the example...

Place a sma of 5 on a EURUSD H1 chart. When the market travels "up" the sma 5 travels below. When the market travels "down" the sma 5 travels above.

With that said, Imagine replacing the sma 5 with the indicator Fractals Adaptive Moving Average. Also, change the period from 5 to lets say 14. I explained the

above in order for you to visualize the situation. Now, to answer your question, "why are you closing the order on dips?" I am not closing an order, I am opening

an order. The strategy would be similar to MovingAverage EA that comes with MT4 terminal. I hope all is clear.

Thank You!

Scratch all the above. Here is the solution. I would open a trade when price crosses above/below the Fractal Adaptive Moving Average. The stoploss would be a short distance above/below the Fractal Adaptive Moving Average.

Understood? Its been hell. :) but I love it :)

Thank You

Ok, have you managed to test it yet? Are you happy with the results? Why or why not?

WhooDoo22:

Scratch all the above. Here is the solution. I would open a trade when price crosses above/below the Fractal Adaptive Moving Average. The stoploss would be a short distance above/below the Fractal Adaptive Moving Average.

Understood? Its been hell. :) but I love it :)

Thank You

Also, the above is strictly theory or thought. Unfortunately due to the eternity of hours staring at history, there are more losses than wins, because this "strategy" is successful under certain market conditions. As we all know,

the weaknesses of strategies similar to this one, the flat ranging markets are a sma crossover's (or fractal adaptive moving average) worst nightmare. This is because of the false signals involved. For a non experienced trader

that is still researching, A moving average stragey pros and cons are bellow:

1. sma loves BIG market crossovers (pros)

2. sma hates small market crossovers (false signals) (cons) WATCH OUT STOP LOSS :)

The End

Its been hell, but I love it here! :)

Thank You

Well always refreshing to see someone having fun learning the markets. Nice attitude.

ubzen:
Ok, have you managed to test it yet? Are you happy with the results? Why or why not?

Response: I have not coded the indicator "Fractal Adaptive Moving Average to MQL4".

In order for me to "test the strategy" I want to code the indicator into MQL4 language. Then, I will test the strategy.

I am not overly ambitious to take on this task for now. I have other priorities, but I am sure I will get around to it!

Thank You

ubzen:
Well always refreshing to see someone having fun learning the markets. Nice attitude.

Thank You!
Reason: