Running 100 MT4 Terminals

Hi there,

I am currently working on a project that will require me to run 100 MT4 terminals simultaneously. Can someone tell me what are the hardward & operating system required to run 100 MT4 terminal simultaneously? Is it better with Linux or Windows. Can I do this on a QUAD PC or Dell Server?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. Depending on the number of charts open and number of bars on chart and number of objects EA creates, terminal takes 150-300mb ram. Better have 30GB on your system.
  2. Depending on how much cpu the EAs take, assuming 10% of 2GHz you'll need a 8 core 2.5GHz cpu
  3. With 32 charts open I get 1.5KB/s so plan on a 150 KB/s network minimum.
  4. MT4 run on WINDOWS only.

and if you want to run the Strategy Tester on those 100 MT4 installations you can multiply the CPU requirements by 2 to 4 times approx.

waterhorse:

Hi there,

I am currently working on a project that will require me to run 100 MT4 terminals simultaneously. Can someone tell me what are the hardward & operating system required to run 100 MT4 terminal simultaneously? Is it better with Linux or Windows. Can I do this on a QUAD PC or Dell Server?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I will have to disagree with my learned colleagues here. I think you haven't got a chance in hell of running this on one machine, regardless of the number of cores. You can only run one instance of MT4 on a machine anyway (with the standard installation).* You can run multiple accounts using the multi-account (name?) version of MT4 ( a different program). If you want 100 users, each using their own MT4, that is quite different. (All of this is well beyond my expertise and experience I hasten to add). My dual core 2GHz AMD on XP with 4GB RAM is noticeably slow when changing accounts and timescales (>10 seconds) probably because the charts are long (100,000 bars).

Since each instance is going to be down loading its own price data your internet traffic could get pretty high. I would experiment with this and get 4 working so you can really get a feel for the problem in order to quote on it sensibly. I think you are going to need racks of computers, not just a high power system.

*Apparently you can run multiple instances of MT4 as mentioned in the posts below.

dabbler:

I will have to disagree with my learned colleagues here. I think you haven't got a chance in hell of running this on one machine, regardless of the number of cores. You can only run one instance of MT4 on a machine anyway.

I have 4 instances of MT4 running 24/7 on a i7 machine with 6GB RAM with no issues at all.

RaptorUK:
I have 4 instances of MT4 running 24/7 on a i7 machine with 6GB RAM with no issues at all.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Are you running the Multi-terminal MT4 or, if not, how are you getting them to run on the same machine.

RaptorUK:
I have got running 4 instances, each with an EA on a AMD 3700+ wit 1 gb of ram. no issues at all.

zzuegg:
I have got running 4 instances, each with an EA on a AMD 3700+ wit 1 gb of ram. no issues at all.
Ok, same question to you then. How do you get more than one instance of MT4 to run on the same machine? Is this some Windows 7 thing running a virtual environment or something much easier?

Ok, I guess I'm being a bit thick :-(

I'm now guessing that if you copy the MetaTrader directory to a new directory like MetaTrader_A you can run another instance in that one too. I just tried copying my MT4 directory, but at 7GB that seemed boring as an experiment, so I cut it short. I normally run another instance on my laptop, as that gives me more screen area as well.

dabbler:

Ok, I guess I'm being a bit thick :-(

LOL . . .

I have instances running with different Brokers ;-) and each in it's own directory.

The requirement for multiple simultaneous terminals on one machine is that the terminals are installed into different directories.

I have 1 live, 2 demos, and 1 testing/development running simultaneous on my workstation... no problems at all.

Reason: