Select_by_ticket confusion!

I have been using the following code to select an open order in the client terminal:

for(int i=0;i<OrdersTotal();i++)
{ 
 if(OrderSelect(ticket,SELECT_BY_TICKET)==true)
   {

I have an EA running on several currency pairs but only allowed one trade per currency pair.

Do i really need to use the loop to find the current order (ticket#) if there are multiple orders in the terminal from other currency pairs?

Is the loop only needed for SELECT_BY_POS?

This is not clear from the documentation.

thanks all.

Don't you mean . . .

for(int i=OrdersTotal()-1; i>=0; i--)
{ 
 if( OrderSelect(i, SELECT_BY_POS) )
   {

If you know the ticket number just use it . . . if you don't, you can't.

RaptorUK:

Don't you mean . . .

If you know the ticket number just use it . . . if you don't, you can't.

no i don't mean that...i've used SELECT_BY_POS before which is straight forward. I've got an EA on 5 currency pairs..so there could be 5 open trades at any one time.

I've opened trades with command below..so 'yes' i know the ticket number but does OrderSelect(ticket,SELECT_BY_TICKET)==true) by itself automatically select the correct ticket# without having to loop through all of the open orders?

ticket = OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,lots,Ask,slippage,0,0,"EAname",0,0,Green);

sd59:

I've opened trades with command below..so 'yes' i know the ticket number but does OrderSelect(ticket,SELECT_BY_TICKET)==true) by itself automatically select the correct ticket# without having to loop through all of the open orders?

And if you stop and restart the EA where does it get the ticket number from ?

To answer your question, yes . . .

OrderSelect(ticket,SELECT_BY_TICKET);

. . . will select the order whose ticket number is ticket . . . . assuming you are looking to select an open order and not a closed one, if you wanted a closed one you have to specify the MODE_HISTORY pool.

RaptorUK:

And if you stop and restart the EA where does it get the ticket number from ?

To answer your question, yes . . .

. . . will select the order whose ticket number is ticket . . . . assuming you are looking to select an open order and not a closed one, if you wanted a closed one you have to specify the MODE_HISTORY pool.

thanks for the confirmation - I'm writing variables (including ticket#) to file if pc crashes or I stop the EA.

sd59:

thanks for the confirmation - I'm writing variables (including ticket#) to file if pc crashes or I stop the EA.

Hi Raptor,

I thought i'd sussed this SELECT_BY_TICKET function...but..just wrote a quick script to test it out. I used if(OrderSelect(ticket,SELECT_BY_TICKET)==True) Print(blah blah; - I deliberately entered a 'closed' ticket# and it selected it from Account History!! (without me adding MODE_HISTORY).

Please can you explain what is happening?

thanks

sd59:

Please can you explain what is happening?

thanks

Yep, you need to red the Documentation . . . ;-)

" pool - Optional order pool index. Used when the selected parameter is SELECT_BY_POS. It can be any of the following values:"

You are selecting by Ticket so you don't need to specify the pool - MODE_TRADES or MODE_HISTORY.

The ticket number is unique, it will be in the Trades pool or the History pool . . . both pools have their own index number, so if you are selecting by Index number you need to specify the pool, if you don't MODE_TRADES is assumed.

RaptorUK:

Yep, you need to red the Documentation . . . ;-)

" pool - Optional order pool index. Used when the selected parameter is SELECT_BY_POS. It can be any of the following values:"

You are selecting by Ticket so you don't need to specify the pool - MODE_TRADES or MODE_HISTORY.

The ticket number is unique, it will be in the Trades pool or the History pool . . . both pools have their own index number, so if you are selecting by Index number you need to specify the pool, if you don't MODE_TRADES is assumed.
OK, thanks (believe me I read the docs many..many times over but it sometimes just doesn't stick!)
Reason: