Error on starting Metatrader 4 - failed to create empty document

Today I restarted my Laptop after about a month ago. Now I get an error on starting MT4: "Fehler beim Erzeugen eines leeren Dokuments". (in english: failed to create empty document).

I got Windows 7 x64. MetaTrader worked perfectly till today.

After the Failure, MetaTrader is open, except the Chart Windows! As soon as i rightclick on a symbol and then "Chart", i get the same error. everything else is working perfectly. only that stupid Chart could not be opened.

It has nothing to do with the MT4 Installation,because I tested other MT4 Installations, too. Even reinstalling hasn't fixed the problem.

Whats that for a crap?

Can anybody help? Any Idea? For more information please ask if needed :-)

Maybe it's a UAC issue, either try reinstalling to a directory other than one in Program Files or try reading this: http://crum.be/mt4

RaptorUK:
Maybe it's a UAC issue, either try reinstalling to a directory other than one in Program Files or try reading this: http://crum.be/mt4

thanks for your advice. unfortunately this wasnt the solution. i found it by myself. run CMD as admin. type: "sfc /scannow". Let Windos repair its systemfiles. Restart PC. Done

ProfNuke:

thanks for your advice. unfortunately this wasnt the solution. i found it by myself. run CMD as admin. type: "sfc /scannow". Let Windos repair its systemfiles. Restart PC. Done
OK, thanks for sharing what you found, might help someone else in due course :-)

Hi everyone,

I seem to encounter the same problem on MT5. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Any advice would be very appreciated!!! Thank you.

JrDevil:
Hi everyone,

I seem to encounter the same problem on MT5. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Any advice would be very appreciated!!! Thank you.
This topic is about mql4. Please create your own topic in "Expert Advisors and Automated trading" section about mql5/MT5.

Hi! I have this error when I increase substantially the value in "Max bars in chart" in Tools>>Options>>Charts. Obviously, with a Renko generator that makes very small bricks (1pip or so) over a very long period of time (30 years), it increases the number of bars in the converted chart and apparently, MT4 can't take it. If I either reduce the value Max bars in chart or increase the brick size, I put MT4 in better conditions and the error disappears. Now, you will tell that if you have this error with charts already open when MT4 crashed, you cannot modify the settings in Options or the configuration of indicators, so, in order to solve this, you will need to find the right folder where your MT4 documents are, likely to be in [your user folder]\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\[the MT4 that fails]\profiles\default and you rename all your .chr files with .bak after the end of the name (chart01.chr becomes chart01.chr.bak). Then, you open MT4 which shouldn't be crashing this time, you change your settings to a more acceptable value for MT4, you close MT4 again, you can then rename the .chr files you previously renamed (by removing the .bak) and then open MT4 and see what it gives. Sometimes, not all .chr files are responsible for the error. By the way, if you use indicators that require a lots of computer resources, MT4 may not crash but be frozen and waiting until it opens correctly is vain as well so in this case, you should only remove the chartxx.chr files that are responsible for that, or if you know which indicators can create this, you can also open the chr file with a text editor and find the section in which this/these indicator(s) is/are used and delete the section, but you have to feel at ease with this file structure. Note that to remove such a section, you should remove all lines between the two flags <indicator> and </indicator>, including the lines of those flags (see example below).

<indicator>
name=Ichimoku Kinko Hyo
tenkan=15
kijun=3
senkou=52
color=255
style=0
weight=1
color2=16711680
style2=0
weight2=1
color3=4294967295
style3=0
weight3=1
color4=4294967295
style4=2
weight4=1
color5=4294967295
style5=2
weight5=1
period_flags=0
show_data=1
</indicator>

Generally, the chart files are in the same order as the tabs were but in any case, you will recognize better by reading the lines symbol and period at the beginning of the chr file in your text editor.

I hope it helps.

Reason: