Can MT5 write MT4 EAs and Indicators?

I downloaded MT5 and started reading the manual when I discovered that I can't hook it up to my broker.

Before I quit reading, I saw that it has a debugger. Hopefully it would be something similar to debuggers in other languages.

Does any one know if I can use MT5 to write EAs and Indicators that will run under MT4? I think I would like to program in a platform with a debugger, but I don't want to spend the time to learn the language if I can't use it. I've been using MT4 for less than 2 weeks, so I will have to wait until I have MT4 down pat before I try to work in MT5, but that shouldn't take long.

two different worlds... you can't use 5 to write 4...

sn

serpentsnoir:

two different worlds... you can't use 5 to write 4...

sn

Does that mean that EAs written in MT4 cannot be run under MT5?

Every language I have learned has always had forward compatibility. You're saying that MT4 is not forward compatible.

FoxGuy:

Does that mean that EAs written in MT4 cannot be run under MT5?

Every language I have learned has always had forward compatibility. You're saying that MT4 is not forward compatible.

that is correct, there is no forward compatibility. There are conversion strategies, but it is better to start clean in 5.

serpentsnoir:

that is correct, there is no forward compatibility. There are conversion strategies, but it is better to start clean in 5.

Thanks for saving me some time trying to make it work.

Oh Well;

Reason: