Metatrader-EA API

Does anyone know how metatrader interfaces with an EA? I do not have a strong background in windows API but I do have concept of how it works. Im particularly interested in what happens when you click 'Expert Properties' in the tester... MT4 obviously reads the extern variables and opens up the window to set their values..but how?

I am trying to develop a GUI for setting the EA inputs. I would like to bypass whatever logic occurs when 'expert properties' is clicked and instead have my GUI set the inputs.. then when I click OK in the GUI, it will set them just as expert properties would so metatrader wouldnt know there was a difference.

I have written a program that executes whenever I click 'Expert properties'. At present this program just opens a blank window instead of the EA properties window. I do not know how to 'set' the external variables of the EA from outside metatrader.

I dont suppose anyone would let me borrow the MT4 source code? :)

supertrade:

MT4 obviously reads the extern variables and opens up the window to set their values..but how?

I dont suppose anyone would let me borrow the MT4 source code? :)

I am trying to develop a GUI for setting the EA inputs. I would like to bypass whatever logic occurs when 'expert properties' is clicked and instead have my GUI set the inputs.. then when I click OK in the GUI, it will set them just as expert properties would so metatrader wouldnt know there was a difference.

1. Most likely it just reads the compiler's bytecodes
  2. Got a few million, they might.
  3. GUI creates a file, EA reads the file. Something like I posted here
Reason: